1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home Network Set-up Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JayMBee, Jul 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayMBee

JayMBee Thread Starter

Apologies for this long post but I wanted to try and explain everything and I hope you can follow the detail.

I already have a simple home network of my own linking 2 PCs, one running XP Home and the other Win 98, in order to share a broadband internet connection. The PCs are connected using a RJ45 crossover cable linking 10/100 NICs in the machines.

Since this set-up was running fine for me I tried to do the same for a friend, the only difference being that on his 2 PCs, one was running XP Professional with Service Pack 2 and the other XP Professional with SP 1. Despite various attempts I cannot get the 2 PCs to link up. The first PC which has the internet connection is the one running SP2. In its Network Connections properties the internet connection is set as connected, shared & firewalled and on running the Network Set-up Wizard, the NIC is correctly given the IP Address of 192.168.0.1. On running the set-up disk created by the Wizard on the 2nd PC, on completion the IP Address of its NIC remains at 0.0.0.0. I've tried various things but nothing has worked. I've manually given the 2nd PC an IP Address of 192.168.0.2 for example but that didn't help. I've tried connecting the PCs using a hub with 2 straight cables rather than 1 crossover but I got the same problem.

What is bothering me most is the Internet Firewall Connection options on the first PC which are different from my own set-up and also that of my friend's 2nd PC. On my set-up the TCP/IP Advanced Options for the Internet Connection card has both Internet Connection Firewall & Internet Connection Sharing ticked; the NIC has ICF unticked. On my friend's 2nd PC it too has its NIC with ICF unticked. However, on the 1st PC, the one that has the Internet connection, although the Firewall & sharing is selected, the options which appear for the NIC are not the same as above. A simple tick-box for Internet Connection Firewall does not appear but instead it says Firewall On or Off or some other option I cannot remember. If you select Off then it also turns the Firewall off for the internet connection itself, which obviously isn't recommended. There is an Exceptions tab within the Firewall options and at first it appears that you can turn it off for the NIC but on running the Network Setup Wizard, the firewall is then switched back on for the NIC! The bottom line is that I'm sure the Firewall settings are stopping the 2 PCs from sharing the connection that I'm trying to set up.

Is there someway anyone can spot that I'm setting up the Firewall options incorrectly on the PC running XP Professional with SP2 since they are different to XP Home & XP Professional with SP1? I can't think of anything else that might be stopping the 2 PCs 'talking' since the set-up is just like the successful one I have on my network but if there could be another reason then let me know.

Hope somebody can help.

:(

2. yocalif

yocalif

BUY a router! They are cheap

3. pc_doctor

pc_doctor

Let the IP address assign automaticly. and you dont need to make a disc for the network to be copied across as the XP machines do it automaticly

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/381001

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice