1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home Network Through wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by whyzitsokold, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whyzitsokold

whyzitsokold Thread Starter

I'm tryin to figure out how to network my computers at home. I have a cable modem hooked into a linksys router. One of my PC's has an ethernet cable running to the router and my other is wireless.

I tried to set up a hom/office network and my notebook says that I need to be plugged into the router. I don't want to do that on my notebook, I want to be wherever in my home. Then I tried to set up a wireless network, but then it said I needed an access point.

All I want to do is share some files. Can't I set up a network with the equipment I have now? I was hoping to get this to work, then get a network harddrive.

Thanks

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

You need to supply the model of the router also does your wireless laptop currently connect to this router?

3. whyzitsokold

whyzitsokold Thread Starter

The router is a Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router w/ 4 port Switch

WRT546

My Notebook connects to the internet wirelessly through the Router, and my PC connects with an ethernet cable to the Router.

4. gurutech

gurutech

That's probably a WRT54G (not 6 at the end).

Make sure your cable modem is connected to the WAN or Internet port on the router (the one offset from the 4 other ports). Your desktop computer should be connected to any of the other 4 ports.

From your desktop computer, browse to http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1 and when prompted for username/password, leave the username line blank, and enter "admin" for the password (no quotes). (If "admin" doesn't work, try "password")

You should then see the linksys configuration web page. You will need to make sure that wireless is enabled, and configured properly.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With computers accessing the internet through a router, and at least one computer XP, here is a wizard way. (Tell it to ignore any unplugged cables and the like.)

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a Windows PC other than XP or 2k Pro.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2) will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders (or drives) or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes or so) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice