Home Network Tricks...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dazrae

Hey all,
Well after getting help here in setting up our network (thanks all), I now have the embarrasing problem of the other users of the network interfering with the things im doing...

Things such as 'netsend' and them accessing my info..

Anyone with tips on how to combat the little pricks without getting physical would be appreciated

Many thanks

--Dazrae :)

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
As far as them accessing your info, they can only access what you have allowed them to share. So if you shared your whole hard drive, go back and unshare it, and make one folder for them (IF you even want them sharing).

:rolleyes:Well you could unplug your computer from the network. To stop the netsends you can turn off the windows messaging service. If you post more information, ie, what os you are using, and the type of network authentication (domain or workgroup) I'm sure you would get some more responses but you are leaving to much wide open to interpretation :D

If your OS is W2K or XP, make sure your Guest Account is disabled and that you only have one user account, likely Administrator. It is even better to rename your Administrator account to something else (but don't forget it!). Give it a unique, strong password and then nobody will be able to access your shares with unless they have set up the same account with the same password on their machines.

And I do agree with the advice about not sharing your entire C: drive. You don't want to give inadvertent access to the Windows directory where all your important system files are located.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online