1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home network. W Explorer just does not look right.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by WacoJohn, Nov 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WacoJohn

WacoJohn Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8098 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, -1988 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 451 GB (398 GB Free); F: 2794 GB (2690 GB Free);
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, PHQAA
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I have 5 windows 10 computers (2 are 32-bit), one printer, and one router-attached hard drive on my home network.
    Everything seems to work OK, but what is bothering me is Explorer does not look the same on all 5 computers. Furthermore, certain folders show as PUBLIC on some computers but not others. Network Sharing is the same on all 5 computers:

Private profile: network discovery on and Turn on auto setup is checked.
    File and printer sharing is on.

Guest or public: discovery off. File and printer sharing off.

All Networks: Public folder sharing off. P/W protected sharing off.

The Brother networked printer is identified on SOME computers as BRN0080770794d4.

The shared router-connected hard drive is identified on SOME as READYSHARE

I have 6 attachments, .. 5 showing each machine and 1 showing uhm .. well, a mess.

Wondering why Explorer (NETWORKING) doesn't look the same on all computers?
    Why is a PUBLIC folder shown on some computers and not others ... all other things being the same.
    Why do some computers show Users/Owner (my standard Windows user name), Users/Owner and Administrator.

I don't know if it will be of any help, but I just now installed Spiceworks ... as if I knew what to do with it.

Thank you in advance for any help.

ACER-64 W10-64
    acer64.png

ACER-PC W10-32
    acerPC.PNG

A BIG MESS
    bigmess.PNG

DELL w-64 COMPUTER
    Dell.PNG
    EMATIC LAPTOP W10-32
    ematic.png
    TOSHIBA LAPTOP W10-64
    tosh.PNG

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

On the pc that shows an Administrator folder underneath the Users folder, it means you have logged in once using the 'Administrator' built in admin account. Logging in to any account first time creates a folder underneath Users. That folder holds your system settings (AppData) and Documents, Pictures and others. If you haven't logged into the PC using the 'Administrator' account before, then somebody has, and you might have been hacked. Usually attackers use that folder to hold files they want to keep. Go to Folder Options and choose to display all hidden folders and system folders. Then go through each folder.

There is normally a Public folder underneath Users. It is to be used to tranfers files from 1 account to another. You first copy the file to Public\Documents and then login to the second account and retreive the file from there.

Which Spiceworks program did you install? They have several.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  3. WacoJohn

WacoJohn Thread Starter

WOW .... thank you for the great reply. Hsppy Birthday, Sir. It is certainly possible I have logged in as Administrator on those machines, but don't recall specifically doing so. Can't remember a lot about yesterday:sick: HACKED?? Wonderful. Other than Malwarebytes Pro and W10 Defender, I really would not know. In any case, the question is now moot with your great answer. For my own comfort, .. would there be a way to reverse that situation on those machines???

I downloaded a free version of Spiceworks. I installed it ... and then uninstalled it. Way over my head, but I can install it again. Here is what I downloaded:

sw.PNG

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

The 'Administrator' account, exactly as spelt, has to be specifically enabled before use, it is by default disabled, meaning you can't login to use before being enabled. There is a specific command line to enable it.

5. WacoJohn

WacoJohn Thread Starter

So, if I wanted to 'undo' logging in as Administrator on those machines, I would uh ... disable the account? Uhm .. sound dangerous to me. Step by step if you don't mind. I would like all the machines to be alike if possible.

I found instructions on disabling Elevated Administrator account in W10. I assume it is safe to do this.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Yes, it should be safe.

However, the attacker may have installed a Remote Access Tool, meaning they can see your screen and execute commands any time. The best course of action is to backup your documents and do a clean install of Windows

7. WacoJohn

WacoJohn Thread Starter

Hmmm. Well. OK then. That may very well clear up some other issues. I will take your advice. Thank you again.

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

No probs

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice