1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home network: Worked for months, now ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mtrvideo, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mtrvideo

mtrvideo Thread Starter

Most of what I know about networks I've learned through trial and error and suggestions from those more experienced. Once again, I'm stumped.

My home/business network consists of 6 computers, all running some version of Windows. 2 are on one hub, 3 are on another hub, both hubs are connected to a router along with 1 computer. This configuration has been running smoothly for about two months or so. Then, on Monday, all computers can use the internet, but can only read drives that have been mapped previously. Searching for computers will find some of them, but not all, but they cannot be accessed through explorer, nor will new folders be mapped. I get the message: "The list of servers is unavailable." There was also this message in the log file:

"A duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network. The IP address of the machine that sent the message is in the data. Use nbtstat -n in a command window to see which name is in the Conflict state. "

...and this one...

"The DNS Client service could not contact any DNS servers for a repeated number of attempts. For the next 30 seconds the DNS Client service will not use the network to avoid further network performance problems. It will resume its normal behavior after that. If this problem persists, verify your TCP/IP configuration, specifically check that you have a preferred (and possibly an alternate) DNS server configured. If the problem continues, verify network conditions to these DNS servers or contact your network administrator. "

None of the computers have the same name, all are assigned to the same workgroup. There is no server, hence, no domain.

Any suggestions as to what I might be looking for?

Please help.

Pat

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

check your router log and also the nbtstat -n in a command window suggestion - see which IP (ie which PC) is considered in conflict

your router admin screen should also id the problem
    - assuming it's using dhcp, sounds like a problem there

post back pls

3. mtrvideo

mtrvideo Thread Starter

Here's where I get really stupid. I tried running nbstat -n in the command window, it tells me "Cannot find 'nbstat' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and all required libraries are available."

I don't know of any other way to "run" a file.

The DHCP log lists the following:

videomaker 192.168.1.100 00-20-78-E0-FB-F3
    bernie 192.168.1.101 00-20-78-E0-FB-9E
    mtrvideo 192.168.1.102 00-E0-06-ED-36-F4
    Pictures 192.168.1.103 00-80-C8-4B-1F-B5
    TOMMYLEE 192.168.1.104 00-50-BA-66-09-37

I appreciate your help, what now?

Pat

4. jbcalg

jbcalg

hmm, gotta put the thinkin cap on
    ...and need to go out for a while

i'll post back a bit later

meantime everyone else:
    don't be shy, jump in!!
    :)

meantime: when you did the command line query
    you used the full directory path name
    (or did the cd/ bit to get there, old school dos navigating)
    for wherever you have the nbstat file, probably your router file, admin file, etc??

5. mtrvideo

mtrvideo Thread Starter

Well, I don't know if this is part of the problem, but I ended up doing a search to find the nbstat file, and there was none to be found. There is a cdrom that came with the router, but the file's not on there either. I checked the win2000 disk, there is a file named nbstat.ex_

I've been doing some perusing through the forum and seem to have noticed a common problem involving winXP....two of the computers in my network are running XP, one...ME, two...win98, and one...win2000.

As of about an hour ago, I can access one of the win98 computers, but both of the xp units tell me "Network path not found." I can't get to the ME computer, but that belongs to a neighbor and it just may be off.

Because I can get to the one win98 computer (this is the one that has my business database on it), I'm not quite in the same state of panic, but still, I would like to have the system running smoothly just because I know it should.

Thanks for your help....this site is great. By the way, I just noticed your quote, jb....60W desklamp... I love it!!

6. jbcalg

jbcalg

sorry, busy here tonight, PC#2 decided to be real goofy and i likely trashed a few apps LOL

60W desklamp
    - well that kicked a few weeks ago and haven't gotten around to 'tweakin' it back into action yet, loose switch or something

so for now i'm using 2 x 60W ceiling fixture - yecccch, throws so many shadows i'm scaring myself everytime i move :D !

7. mtrvideo

mtrvideo Thread Starter

Well, I don't know why my problems started, and I don't know why they are fixed, all I did was rerun the network wizard on one of the xp computers. Everything is back working they way it should.

Thanks for attention. I'm sure I'll be back again someday!

Pat

jb....BUY a new lamp!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice