1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nymetsrock23, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nymetsrock23

nymetsrock23 Thread Starter

Hi there,
    I am just wondering how to set up a home network with an old computer used as a server... we will have a wii, ps3, lap top, and 2 desktops connected to the network as well as two dell printers. The laptop runs windows XP and the desktops run windows vista. The old computer will will use as a server is windows xp or windows 98 (most likely wont use that computer). What will i have to do to set this up and run the server as well as the network.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For a server you need a server OS; if you are going to use an old computer I assume you'll want a free OS, such as a Linux based one.

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

What exactly will be the purpose of this server?

4. nymetsrock23

the purpose will be to hold music, picture, and video files as well as run spy wear and fire walls

5. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

If you want this server to sit between the internet and your other machines, then forget about XP or Win98; neither is suited for that. If that is what you want to do, install Linux on the system and learn to use it. You'll have a learning curve ahead of you, but when you get through it you'll have a solid and reliable server that won't be getting cracked (if you set it up right) and will do everything you want it to do.

6. nymetsrock23

I down loaded Ubuntu Server operating system will that be suitable? Thank you!

7. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

That will work. You might find the full desktop distro to be easier to use because it will have more user-oriented things in it, unlike the server distro which is stripped down for just server activities.

8. nymetsrock23

ok so this might be a simple question but i just want to double check, can i run the Ubuntu OS and still have windows computers access files and use it as a server?

9. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Yes, though you will have to set that up (Samba). I am not familiar with the graphical tools used to do that sort of thing in Ubuntu, but I would expect that it will be relatively easy.

You also will be able to run an effective firewall for your LAN (iptables), have a mail server if you want (probably postfix), a domain name server if you want (named), web caching on the server if you want (squid), and pretty much anything else you can think of.

10. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Do your homework. If your experience is solely with Windows, you will not find configuring a server based on Linux to be an easy job. It will be a possible job, which puts it ahead of a Win98 server or an XP server, but it won't be easy. If you are a quick study, inclined to think the right way, and have sufficient background with computers, expect to spend several intense days sorting it out well enough to use it as a basic server. If you don't meet even one of those criteria, it could take you weeks. It'll be a real learning experience for you.

If you just want to use your home network, go to the store and purchase a firewall/router. Connect your devices to it. Then make your win98 or XP file server, just using the Windows sharing features of those operating systems.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice