1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fresquito, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fresquito

fresquito Thread Starter

Hello All,
    I got a small problem that I can't seem to figuere out. I have a home network with 4 pc's all running XP Pro. The problem is that my lynksis router has only three working ports so I went out and got a 5 port Corega hub. I hooked the hub to one of the working router ports and connected two of the pc's to the hub. My problem is that this has caused my internet to maul function. My Modem seems to stop working when I do that and the only way to get the internet back up is to connect the pc's back to the router. I know that the hub is working correctly but I can not figure out why it's not functioning with the router. Any suggestions or ideas? Ideally, I want this to work. If you have any suggestions, please advice.

2. 220volt

220volt

I would ditch the hub and get a switch.Not a big difference in prices.
    With hub all of your pc's will be on the same collision domain so it could slow you down.
    Make sure that you are using correct cables.

router-switch (crossover) Make sure that duplex speed match.
    switch-pc's (straight through)

You can use straight through from router to switch but crossover will give you better throughput.

On your hub you can use straight through cables all the way and it should work.
    Can you give more details.
    Have you tried pinging from PC's to router?
    usualy the problem is with cabeling since hub is a layer 1 device.

3. fresquito

fresquito Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Volt. I have a question, what do you mean by a switch? Is that some type of cable? Right now I have Internet because I removed the hub but actually I am not sure the hub was my problem. The way I connected the hub was to plug it straight into one of the working ports on the router. Did I need to configure anything? Also since my Internet came back up I noticed that my ip addresses are changing on the pc's. I had an error message that stated I had an ip address conflict with another machine. I really want to hook up my fourth pc and I don't feel like buying any more hardware so how can I get this thing to work? Please advice

4. 220volt

220volt

Check this link to find out about switches vs hubs

Can you post make and model of your hub? (you might have a switch)

Make sure that you're plogging hub into one of the LAN(should have four) ports of your router.Whatever you do don't connect your hub into the WAN port of your router.
    If your router has 4 ports then you don't need hub or a switch.Unless you want to hook up more then 4 pc's.
    It also depends how your router is configured.
    Can you also post model and make of your router?

Usually routers have four port switch built into them (those 4 ports act as a switch)

5. fresquito

fresquito Thread Starter

Volt, thanks again
    Here is the info you requested. I have a Linksys 4 port router Model # BEFSR41C... My modem is connected to the fourth port (it's labeled 4/DMZ). Ports 1,2, and 3 I have pc's connected to them. The very first port which is labeled Internet is not being utilized. The reason being is that when I first bought the router I tried hooking up my modem to the slot wich is labeled internet but the modem would not function. I contacted my isp and they said the type of modem I had needed t be connected in port 4, which they were right since my internet worked after that. Anyways, you are right I have a 5 port 100m/1om "switching hub" It's called Corega and the model # is FSW-5PM. My problem is that I still have one pc that I can not connect to the router since the port labeled internet does not seem to function. That is the reason I got the "switching hub". Now what do I need to do to get this switching hub working so I can connect my last pc. Thank you very much in advance.

6. 220volt

220volt

I never heard of cable modem or dsl that is hooked up to 4/DMZ.
    Your proper setup should be. Your modem to Internet or WAN port of your router.
    All 4 pc's to 1,2,3,4 ports.
    Make sure that all of your pc's are set up to recevie ip address automaticaly.
    Click here on how to do that.

Your router has to be in NAT mode in order for all of your pc's to get online.
    Here is the link to the manual of your model.

I work for ISP broadband engineering department and we never tell customer to plug cable modem into DMZ. regardless of the model and make.
    Do you have a static ip?
    I think reason why your router won't work when hooked up to Internet port is because your ISP still has your old mac address (pc) bound to your modem. I would call your ISP again and have them bound your routers WAN (Internet) mac with your modems ip. If you tell them that , they will know what you mean.But hook up your modem to internet port and all of your PC's to 1,2,3,4
    Have modem in NAT mode and call your ISP. They have to clear cable host (your previous mac) so your router's internet port will pick up an IP from them.
    Just tell them that.
    Hope it helps.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice