1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Hankospanko, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hankospanko

Hankospanko Thread Starter

Hello,

I am new to this forum and also new to any knind of networking of any knind. I have a problem....

I bought a 100' Cat5e cable off of amazon and ran it through the wall and to the downstairs TV. I hooked it up and everything worked great. So I wanted to install flush mount wall plates. So I cut the preinstalled connecters that came with the cable off and installed Cat5e jacks I purchased from Home Depot on each end. I then took two short cables and connected one from the downstairs wall jack to my TV and the other from the router to the upstairs wall jack. To my suprise it wouldnt work. I tried all kinds of different wiring configurations thinking that maybe the wiring needed to be reversed somehow or something but I cannot for the life of me figure out what needs to be done. Please help!

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It's quite possible that the wiring is incorrect. Do you have a a cable tester that would test those jacks?

also the jacks themselves should have a color code that would should be sticking to on both ends. It should have Type A or Type B... you would only want to have the same type.

3. fran101

fran101

not sure if this is of any use [​IMG]

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    More like this

The third image on the right is what I am talking about.

5. Hankospanko

Hankospanko Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response guys.

Yes it has the A/B color code. I tried A/A, B/B and A/B none work! I do Not have a tester, I guess I need one. It just seems like it should be such a simple thing. Thanks for the chart I will look at when I give it another try tommorow. Do I need to configure the cable that I ran from wall jack to wall jack in a cross-over fashion? When you say same type, do you mean Both ends A/A or B/B?

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

Ethernet cable must be cut correctly, allowing a precise length from the twist, or it will run horribly out of spec.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    A to A or B to B. It's been a long time but I assume whatever spec you have should be the same. make sure the wire color is the same as what you are punching in. I assume you have a tool to punch the wire into it?

As for the tester, I believe it would be a some kind of toner. Its been too long for me :(

And I also second prunejuice's post.

Lastly for other people... I meant the last picture in the link, not 3rd as stated.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice