Home Networking 2 PCs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

benmp3master2

I have 2 pcs. I am trying to network them with 2 NICs and a patch cable. I dont know if the patch cable is crossover or not. I am going to use the Internet connection sharing to share my dial up. I cant get them to network. Even if the cable was not the right kind I should be abel to see at least one pc. The first pc is a 1.4 gigaherts Athlon 128mb ram, 40 gig hd. Integrated NIC. Win ME The other pc is a AMD 200 64mb ram 13 gig hd and a old 10 mb 3com NIC.

If it helps here is the current network config of both machines.

Athlon

Client for Microsoft networks
Dial up Adapter
Sis 900 Fast Enternet Adapter
TCP/IP Sis 900 Faster Enternet Adapter
TCP/IP Dial up Adapter

The Amd 200 has
Client for Microsoft Networks
3com EtherLink III ISA in legacy mode
Dial up Adapter
Internet Connection Sharing
Internet Connection Sharing Protocal 3com EtherLink III ISA in legacy mode
Internet Connection Sharing Protocl- Dial up Adapter
Internet Connection Sharing Protocal- Internet Connection Sharing
TCP/IP 3com EtherLink III ISA in legacy mode
TCP/IP(shared) Dial up Adapter
TCP/IP Internet Connection Sharing
File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Netoworks

Both have their primary Network Logon as Client for Microsoft Networks.

Thanks All of you are a big help]
Ben

are the lights on the back of the nic's lite, if not the cable is wrong

work group names the exact same ???

tcp/ip settings

specify ipaddress 192.168.100.1 and 192.168.100.2 for other machine
subnet 255.255.255.0
wins disabled
gateway none
dns disabled

benmp3master2

I have got them networked finally. I needed a cross over cable. I can get on the internet now but I cant see my other pc. I wanted to share the printer and a second hard drive in it. What can I do?

Thanks

Make sure the workgroup names are exactly the same on both pc's

go to my computer, select the drive you want to share, right click, select share as

Same with printer, go to start/settings/printers/select your printer, right click, select share

Once you share the printer you will have to explorer network neighborhood, find the printer, right click, choose install

benmp3master2

I checked the Domain names and they are right. I dont know what is going on with it . Both are configured correctly and I can see the indvidual computers but not both at the same time on the network. What else can I check?
Thanks

try installing netbeui protocol, helps with small lans
need to install on both machines

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online