Home Networking Help Need ASAP!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PMcOuntry

I had my computer networked together until I had to reformat. However, it has been a long time since actually did the networking and for the life of me CANNOT REMEMBER HOW I DID IT!

I have 2 computers, both running XP Pro. One computer can see the other but no vica version, ie computer 1 cannot see computer 2 but 2 can see 1.

Here is what I have done so far that I can remember doing before:

1. unchecked simple file sharing so I could use the security tab

2. on both computers shared ALL USERS and set permissions to FULL

3. ran the little home network wizard which didn't do anything

4. each computer has 2 unique names and both are set with the SAME workgroup name

5. Shared the folders/printer that needed shared and put FULL permissions

Now... computer 2 can see computer 1, however when it tries to access it says it's now allowed. Yes, I have a password set up, I know that was another problem I had before, computer 1 had to have a password but computer 2 (w/printer) didn't. When computer 1 tries to find computer 2 it says that it does not have permission to be in that workgroup, blah blah blah.

What am I missing! I know it's something so simple that I will kick myself when someone finally tells me what I did wrong, but I'm at my wits end. I need to be able to access the printer, like NOW, so any help I can get ASAP I would be forever grateful!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It would help to know the EXACT text of the message. Lacking that, let's go for the big list of tips. :)

Checklist for networking Windows Machines with TCP/IP
-----------------------------------------------------
- PCs which are not XP must have TCP/IP installed.
- Each PC must have a unique computer name.
- Each PC must have a network share defined.
- ALL NICS must be on the same subnet (e.g. IP 192.168.0.* subnet mask 255.255.255.0).
- XP PCs must have Netbios over TCP/IP enabled (only essential for XP to talk to W9X PCs).
- MS Client and file & printer sharing must be enabled on each machine.
- All NICs must have their node type = anything except p-node (peer to peer, or point-point).
* To check, open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL.
- XP's ICF firewall is permanently disabled. (Only necessary for pre XP SP2).
- All 3rd party firewalls are disabled, uninstalled and deleted (until connection is working).
- PCs have the same workgroup (helps, but not essential for XP/2K, necessary for 9X/ME).

Allow 15 mins after rebooting a PC for that PC to appear in the workgroup, or
for it to see all other PCs. Or you can search for the PC by its computer name.

Additional things to check if you still have problems:
-----------------------------------------------------
- Check your Services are Started on all PCs: Workstation, Server, TCP/IP Netbios helper, Computer Browser.
- XP gives access to its shares via the Net Guest Account. (Note, not the same as the local guest account in user accounts which should be off). Net Guest Account is enabled by default in XP, but to check it, open a command prompt and type: NET USER GUEST
Should return a line with 'Account active yes'.

Check XP Security policies:
--------------------------
- Access this computer from the network: add guest
- Deny logon locally: remove guest
- Network access:Sharing and security model... -> Guest only
- Deny access to this computer from the network-> check Guest is not here.

PMcOuntry

Okay I did everything on the list and when computer 2 tries to access computer 1 it says this...

\\computer1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact Admin...

No I didn't name the computer1 and computer2, lol, that's just for my example.

When I click view computer networks on computer 1 I get this message:

Workgroup not accessible. You might not have permission....list of servers for this network is unavailable.

PMcOuntry

Also, I have turned off the windows xp firewall, but I think it keeps turning itself back on? :mad:

PMcOuntry

Windows Firewall is now staying off, but I (computer 1) can still not access the workgroup, and computer 2 can still see computer 1 but "does not have permission". I know I'm only missing like 1 or 2 steps and I'm guessing at this point it has something to do with permissions on the network, not the actual files/printers. I have the all users folders shared w/full permissions, but that didn't fix it. What am I missing? Please help me soon, this is driving me batty!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Have you checked the event log on the machine you're trying to connect to? Check this MS-KB article and see if it applies to you. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;177078

You can also do this to fix a couple of things that get screwed up and prevent connections.

Create a file in notepad named FIXNET.REG with the following contents:

------------------- Use text after this line -------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters]

"NodeType"=-
"DhcpNodeType"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]

"restrictanonymous"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters]
"IRPStackSize"=-
------------------- Use text before this line -----------------

Double click on the file and say Yes to the merge into registry question.

PMcOuntry

No that doesn't appear to be the problem, like I said, I did it before w/the same computers, etc. nothing has change, I know it must have something to do w/permissions, since that is the one error, but I've given permissions to ALL USERS, PRINTERS. What am I missing? I don't understand why computer1 can be seen on computer2 workgroup, but can't access it, and computer1 can't even get on the workgroups/network. I wish now I had written down the steps I did before, this is very frustrating.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Did you try the registry file I posted in the previous message?

PMcOunty,

Have you checked the status of your Guest account? It was mentioned early on that it needs to be check but nothing was mentioned what the results were of that check.

PMcOuntry

I didn't really want to mess with the registry, as I didn't have to change it the last time I did this. Maybe it has something to do w/groups? I have the guest accounts NOT enabled.

Try enabling the guest account. If it doesn't work you can disable it again. If you are behind a firewall/router then the concern is not as great if you leave it enabled.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Many of these issues require "messing with the registry". If you plan on solving the issue, I suggest that you reconsider your approach.

PMcOuntry

I will take that into consideration, it's just that the last time I did this, I didn't have to do anything w/the registry, so it seems to me that it wouldn't need changed this time either. I'm sure I am just missing one step somewhere, I will try the guest account and see.

PMcOuntry

I re-installed XP (on both computers) ran the newtworking wizard and it all worked fine.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
PMcOuntry said:
I re-installed XP (on both computers) ran the newtworking wizard and it all worked fine.
Tell me again why you wouldn't run a simple registry patch, yet you'd go to the trouble of re-installing Windows? :confused: You had nothing to lose if that was your fallback position, right? :rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online