1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home Networking problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by otherguy, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otherguy

otherguy Thread Starter

I have three computers hooked up via a linksys router. I netwroked these computers for files sharing and to share a printer a little over a year ago. recently, I am getting spotty performance, in that some days, I cant access a certain computer. I fear that when I set these up, I may have accidentally set up two networks rather than one. When I click "view netwrok connections" on one computer, it is lables Local Area Connection. When I click on it on the optehr, I see: Local area connection #2.

When I go to view work group computers, I see the other computer, but when i click on it I get a "network path was not found" error.

help

2. coulterp

coulterp

If your network is over a router then what the LAN connection is called on one PC has no relationship whatsoever to what is it called on any other PC.

But I would check the PC with "Local area connection #2." to see why you have this LAN connection defintion (maybe you have other defs laying around). You may have set up several network connections on this PC, but you still have only a single network (witness the single linksys router, I expect it to be a model that can only handle a single network).

If your network has been working fine for a year and recently you have noticed this degradation, then something in the configuration has, whether intentionally or unintentionally, changed.

Are all PCs in the same sub-net and is that the sub-net of the router?
    Are all PC are in the same workgroup?
    Have you tried taking everthing down, then powering up the router, letting it stablise and then powering on the PCs one at a time?

3. otherguy

otherguy Thread Starter

all is well.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice