Home Networking server

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Chadmoore80

Seasons greetings to all....

I'm new here so I apologise if this is in a different location.

This is what I'm trying to find out the path and direction and prices etc.

I am interested in buying a home file sharing server on where I can have full access to all of my files.. all for home and personal usages..

I was looking at a few different ways to do this but all I have been getting is around about....

One item I'm looking at is a WD (NAS) home server..... But as I have said before I am very new at this so, I don't know on how to hook it up and set this up, I have Shaw cable for my internet.. can someone please direct me and provide me helpful tools for this....
And maybe step me through this process....

Thanks....

I don't need a NAS because a) I am single, so I don't need to share my files with anyone or any other PC. b) a new piece of networking hardware brings new security problems; I'd rather upgrade my PC's hard drive than introduce more vulnerabilities to my network.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I have a Windows 7 machine set us as a storage unit. It also has had a shared printer connected to at a time of two.
I use a KVM switch to access it,. This switch allows the sharing of the keyboard, monitor and mouse and one two devices the speakers. The current one support 4 different machines.

Gr3iz

Mark
Chad, I use a WD MyCloud device (which I think you may be referring to above). I use it for file sharing and as a media server to play videos and music to all my Roku devices on my TVs in the house. My router also has USB ports that can be used with external drives as file sharing and media server, too.

Chadmoore80

Okay but my main goal is to use a NAS hard drive to be fully accessed anywhere.... For music and movjes

Chad, I use a WD MyCloud device (which I think you may be referring to above). I use it for file sharing and as a media server to play videos and music to all my Roku devices on my TVs in the house. My router also has USB ports that can be used with external drives as file sharing and media server, too.

Chadmoore80

Okay but my main goal is to use a NAS hard drive to be fully accessed anywhere.... For music and movies

Gr3iz

Mark
If the answer to the above is yes, the WD MyCloud is accessible from anywhere. I don't use it as such, personally, but it has the capability.

Chadmoore80

If the answer to the above is yes, the WD MyCloud is accessible from anywhere. I don't use it as such, personally, but it has the capability.
Okay, so what can I use to where I can have full access to the files with no issues..

What do u mean by capability?

Chadmoore80

Okay, so what can I use that is the best for what imooking for? I'm very newbie when it comes to file servers etc.... I also would like to be able to connect my laptop from time to time and update or do it through my own house Network.. but keep in mind I don't really wanna drop a **** load of money into this but at the same time, get what I need done... The compasity that I'm looking for is about 1 or 2 TB....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online