1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home Networking server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Chadmoore80, Dec 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chadmoore80

Chadmoore80 Thread Starter

Seasons greetings to all....

I'm new here so I apologise if this is in a different location.

This is what I'm trying to find out the path and direction and prices etc.

I am interested in buying a home file sharing server on where I can have full access to all of my files.. all for home and personal usages..

I was looking at a few different ways to do this but all I have been getting is around about....

One item I'm looking at is a WD (NAS) home server..... But as I have said before I am very new at this so, I don't know on how to hook it up and set this up, I have Shaw cable for my internet.. can someone please direct me and provide me helpful tools for this....
    And maybe step me through this process....

Thanks....

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

I don't need a NAS because a) I am single, so I don't need to share my files with anyone or any other PC. b) a new piece of networking hardware brings new security problems; I'd rather upgrade my PC's hard drive than introduce more vulnerabilities to my network.

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I have a Windows 7 machine set us as a storage unit. It also has had a shared printer connected to at a time of two.
    I use a KVM switch to access it,. This switch allows the sharing of the keyboard, monitor and mouse and one two devices the speakers. The current one support 4 different machines.

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Chad, I use a WD MyCloud device (which I think you may be referring to above). I use it for file sharing and as a media server to play videos and music to all my Roku devices on my TVs in the house. My router also has USB ports that can be used with external drives as file sharing and media server, too.

5. Chadmoore80

Okay but my main goal is to use a NAS hard drive to be fully accessed anywhere.... For music and movjes

6. Chadmoore80

Okay but my main goal is to use a NAS hard drive to be fully accessed anywhere.... For music and movies

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

by that do you mean from outside of your network, like from a friend's house or coffee shop ?

8. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    If the answer to the above is yes, the WD MyCloud is accessible from anywhere. I don't use it as such, personally, but it has the capability.

9. Chadmoore80

Yes, where I can have completed control of all of the files...

Thanks

10. Chadmoore80

Okay, so what can I use to where I can have full access to the files with no issues..

What do u mean by capability?

11. Chadmoore80

Okay, so what can I use that is the best for what imooking for? I'm very newbie when it comes to file servers etc.... I also would like to be able to connect my laptop from time to time and update or do it through my own house Network.. but keep in mind I don't really wanna drop a **** load of money into this but at the same time, get what I need done... The compasity that I'm looking for is about 1 or 2 TB....

12. lunarlander

lunarlander

I think there are a lot of devices which can do what you need. Nobody is going to shop around and compare features and digest it all for you. We've all got our own Xmas shopping to do. Do your own homework, start here below :

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401086,00.asp

13. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What do you by updating your laptop?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220802

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice