1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home networking with phone 4g internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by steve2450, Mar 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve2450

steve2450 Thread Starter

Is it possible to use google's chrome cast, and YouTube TV, and Roku channels service to watch TV using a Centurylink modem and router which doesn't have any DSL connection?

My thought is that by using my Android phone's data connection I could log in to YouTube TV, YouTube or Roku and Chrome Cast those services to my TV with phone's 4g internet connection thereby eliminating cable or DSL.

I think I need a network, (my Centurylink router) but think perhaps, the internet could come from phone data instead.

Does this sound nutsie? How would I set it up?

Steve

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I assume that Android has the capability natively or via an App of being a (Wi-Fi) hotspot. So, yes, you can use your phone's cellular data for your internet access as long as you have unlimited data or intend to use very little.

You could add a router to the LAN iff it has Repeater (Range Extender) or Wireless Bridge (AP Client) capability.

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Yes you can. In fact, you can be connected to a WiFi network and still do a screen mirror via wireless to a smart TV. I'm not sure exactly how a full WiFi setup works this way.

You can use Chrome Cast or a number of other apps out there to do a screen mirror of your phone's screen. Depending on your phone, you may already have the feature built into that version of Android. On the Samsung phones you can do a screen mirror from the drop down setup/options menu.

When I have my daughter in my car, I have a system which I installed which allows me to screen mirror my Android phone to my car's nav screen. I fire up my Plex app and launch one of her kid friendly videos.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1206800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice