1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

home networking XP and vista. need help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Charliesmomu, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Charliesmomu

Charliesmomu Thread Starter

I have my main pc running XP, with the belkin router attached and a happy network of a lap top XP..all file sharing etc working fine.

Anyway I bought a new pc Compaq presario with Vista home premium (Id rather have had XP to be honest!) Got the wireless adaptor installed and working fine..but cannot work out how to add vista pc to the network so it's visible on the other XP computers.. nor can I see the XPs on the Vista one!

Very frustrated!
    I'm no computer techie so if anyone can give me an idiots guide I'' be pathetically grateful!

Jules
    also annoyed to find my logitek webcam won't work under vista too...grrr

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The first step is to get the Vista connected to and communicating with the router and the internet. If that's not happening, have you tried connecting it via ethernet?

3. Charliesmomu

Charliesmomu Thread Starter

Well the internet is up and working etc so the adaptor is talking to the router downstairs ok!
    Just want to file share:(
    Jules

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In your first post you talked about not being able to "see" other computers on the network. If you mean that ping by IP address fails that is almost always caused by a firewall blocking. You have to get this working before file sharing will work.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice