1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home Networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wkusigep460, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wkusigep460

wkusigep460 Thread Starter

Hello All,
    Here's my dilemma:
    My gf recently received a new computer and we want to set up a home networking so I can easily transfer all the files from the old computer to the new. The amount of files we wish to transfer would be just too much for a CD burner to handle I believe, and I do not have a large external hard drive. Therefore, I wish to set up a home network. However, I am having troubles. Here is what I have done so far:
    Using Windows XP on both, I have gone through the Wizard, setting up the network. On both computers, I chose the default "This computer connects to the internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network" connection method. (By the way, both computers are set up through a wireless router). Then I hit "next" and it takes me to the computer description screen, where I make sure that both computers named differently. Then I hit "next" again, and it takes me to the Workgroup name screen, where I assign the same exact name for both computers. I hit "next" and I make sure that I turn on file sharing for both computers. Then after it processes it asks me if I want to restart, so I do.
    Now HERE'S MY MAIN PROBLEM:
    On both computers, the NEW computer shows up, but not the OLD one. A.K.A. I can access the NEW computer files from either computer, but I cannot access the OLD computer files from the NEW computer. It's quite complicated I believe. Please help me!

-Mike

2. new tech guy

new tech guy

Well i do not see why you could not simply use a rewriteable cd or burn a dvd contain data to move (if the computer has a dvd burner). If it is alot of large data then maybe simply plug the hd from the old box into the secondary hd port on the new pc to tranfer the preferred data acorss. I think it would be alot easier than linking up two pcs.

3. wkusigep460

wkusigep460 Thread Starter

No DVD burner on the old computer, and both are laptops!

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

I think you will have to share the drives on both computers, you do this by right clicking on C drive in My Computer>Security and Sharing> Sharing at the top> click on message to say you agree..

Share something, you have to> I generally just share the entire drive and on both computers, it makes things easier but

Of course it is not too secure a way to work, but just to move the files, it should be OK> scan for spyware and viruses done?

Then when you are done, you should share only either a mapped network drive or certain folders, not the entire drive.

5. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, By the way- I have a router, not wireless but that is not pertinent, and two XP Home computers sharing the same as you want to do.

You might get some help from this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/default.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/maintain/default.mspx

If you can't still get it to work, PM me and I can move the entire thread to our Networking forum where you will find the regular network gurus here hiding out....working out, I should say,they put in a lot of time.

6. new tech guy

new tech guy

Oh i thought we were talking about desktops sorry :eek:

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Moved to networking

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First step, can you PING the old computer from the new one? If not, my guess is you have a firewall blocking the access, that's the first thing to check.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice