1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

home office network

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fharvey, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fharvey

fharvey Thread Starter

I have one laptop and a desktop connected as a network through a Linksys wireless router. Even though I have run the networking wizard on both computer several times and the MSHOME network appears on both computers and both computers are shown as a part of the MSHOME network, and I have turned on file and printer sharing on both computers, I cannot access either computer, one from the other. I have also disabled the firewalls on both computers, and that doesn't solve the problem, as it did in times past when I had the trouble.

Cany anyone think of anything else I might try so that the path from one computer to the other can be found? I am the administrator on both computers, of course. This problem is most annoying. My speculation is that it's related to the many security updates that Microsoft releases, but then who knows.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

PING each computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. You can obtain the IP address of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG. This should work for any Windows version.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

3. fharvey

fharvey Thread Starter

Thanks, John. These computers ping one another in the DOS window. I don't have a password set for either computer, so that can't be the problem. I am trying to find where that NetBIOS setting is, and eventually I will. When I do, should I just uninstall and the re-install it?

________________ EDIT ______________

I found the 1394 Connection, right clicked, and installed something called the service advertising protocol or something like that. That has made all the difference. I wasn't even aware that such a thing existed, but apparently it was on both computers at one time because in the past this micro netowork actually worked.

Thanks a ton for that advice. I would have never figured this out on my own. You're a life saver. I've got some huge files to transfer.

____________YET ANOTHER EDIT______________

Maybe you can explain this next item of puzzlement. When I try to move those files to my desktop from my laptop, I get a message saying it's doing it and that it will take several hundred minutes, in various and changing increments. When I drag the files from my laptop to my desktop computer while working at my desktop, the time estimate is only about 25 minutes and the transfer is proceeding without a hitch. Why can't I control the file transfer as well from my laptop as I can from my desktop?

4. JohnWill

WOW! You shouldn't have to do anything with the IEE1394 (Firewire) interface to make networking work! :confused:

The fast transfers one way and slow the other way usually turn out to be drivers or NIC settings. It could also be something as simple as a bad cable.

5. fharvey

fharvey Thread Starter

Maybe I misspoke and it wasn't the 1394 connection but rather the LAN connection. I don't remember at this point. Wish I could paste a screen capture here, but on my computer the 1394 Connection is listed as a LAN or High-Speed Internet type and now it is Connected and Firewalled. The device name is 1394 net adapter. I do have the service advertising protocol installed for that.

I also have the service advertising protocol installed for network connection entitled Local Area Connection, which is also listed as a LAN or High-Speed Internet Connection, and it too is connected and firewalled. The device listed under that is an SIS-900 Based PCI Fast Ethernet adapter.

At this juncture I don't guess it much matters. The thing is working and I am able to transfer files between the computers again. Thanks again for your help.

6. JohnWill

Yep, perhaps the old saying Don't fix things that ain't broken. does really apply. :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice