1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home Office Printer/File Sharing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jcFlory, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jcFlory

jcFlory Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a small home office with a laptop, desktop and two printers. Both computers run Windows XP. I have a wireless network with a 2wire router. The laptop has a built in wireless card and the desktop uses a linksys wireless adapter. I have no problem getting the internet on either computer. I would just like to be able to share some folders and the printers from the desktop with the laptop. I can't seem to make the two computers see each other. What steps do I need to take? Thanks!

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

JC:Welcome to TSG.
    We will probably need to know a bit more about your environment.
    Is this XP sp1 or2
    What is the model # of your linksys router.
    But in the mean time,I can give you some things to look at re printer sharing(sorry,I am not really up on folder sharing,but I think some of the things I am going to say will be relative to that)
    First of all on your desktop,right click on the printers involved and under the sharing tab choose share as.The share as name is what you want the printer named.Keep it short,meaningful and no spaces.Check the share tab
    Then on the desktop
    control panel/system/computer name
    note the full computer name,not the computer description.
    On the laptop
    start/run type in \\computername(from the above)

A window should open which shows the newly shared printer name on the desktop.Double click it and you will be prompted to create a connection to that printer

3. pedroguy

pedroguy

Sorry.One other thing.If you have firewalls running ,during this you may want to disable them.
    I think that when you get the sharing working you will have to go into your firewall setup to allow,probably by ip address,each pc to have access to each others resources.

4. jcFlory

jcFlory Thread Starter

Thanks for the assistance! Both computers have sp2. I have already shared the appropriate folders and printers. The workgroup name is "OFFICE" on both computers and the computer names are "DESKTOP" and "Laptop". The router is a 2Wire 2700HG-S. The desktop doesn't have a built in wireless card, so it uses a linksys wireless adapter model "WUSB12". I tried entering "\\DESKTOP" on the run screen, and it said that computer couldn't be found. Let me know if I can provide any other information! Thanks

5. jcFlory

jcFlory Thread Starter

THANK YOU! It worked when I turned off the firewall! I'm currently trying to figure out how to configure the firewall to allow the right IP Addresses. I don't think the IP addresses are static though. Hmm. Not sure what to do.

6. jcFlory

jcFlory Thread Starter

Got it working with the firewall on! Thanks for you help!

7. pedroguy

pedroguy

OK:we are getting there.I can only tell you how I can do it in Zone Alarm,so you firewall may be a bit different.
    Generally allowable access through a firewall is by ip address.So in your firewall setup somewhere,you will have the ability to allow/disallow access from certain sites.
    To determine the ip address

start/run type in cmd
    you will be presented with a dos screen

type in ipconfig /all

This has a lot of info but for the time being you are interested in the ip address of your pc's.
    If you do this on your desktop the ip address will be something like 192.168.1.100
    If you do this on your laptop,it may be something like 192.168.1.200.If you want to allow access from your laptop into your desktop through the firewall,this is the ip address that you will tell your desktop's firewall is an allowable address.

Hope this helps

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

Glad you got it working.Please mark this thread closed by using the thread tools option at the top of this page.

Happy networking

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice