Home page

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

freeperson

Under Tools, Internet Options, General, Home Page, there are entries listed that I don't want. MSN is my Home Page but there are some pages listed that I want to remove.

I have tried just deleting them but they just come back. I do not have any viruses on my machine. There are just 2 entries that I want to delete.

So, how do I do that?

Thanks

freeperson

I guess I just assumed that it would be obvious that I found the entries because I was clearing my history and all that stuff. It is a little more complicated than that. I have even searched my registry for entries.

But thanks for you input Wolfeymole

DoubleHelix

Banned
The Home Page field only has room for one entry. There can't be multiple listings there.

freeperson

OK, thanks for that! That was helpful, but the entries are still there even after I tried your suggestion. :rolleyes:

DoubleHelix

Banned
I don't know what you're looking at, but the box for the home page can only contain one entry. Your reference to multiple entries indicates you're looking at something other than the home page.

freeperson

Open IE, go to Tools, then Internet Options, then in the General Tab you will see a field for Home Page. Most likely you will have something like msn as your Home Page. If you put your insertion pointer (cursor) in the field and delete everything up to the www part you will see that there are other selections in the field. It is possible to place other entries in this field. As you can see this field is not "grayed out".

If you do not know how to answer my question it is not necessary to respond to this reply.

Thanks

DoubleHelix

Banned
Click the Clear History button. I just tried it, and it worked. After you clear the history, click Apply and Close, and when you re-open Tools, Options, they'll be gone.

freeperson

I guess I am not making myself clear. This is a much more complicated problem than just clearing my history or deleting my IE Temp files. I think it is a registry problem. I need people who can talk to me about registry and the like.
Please read the entire thread as it's only about 200 words, before you reply.

Thanks (y)

DoubleHelix

Banned
I duplicated your problem and resolved it using the solution I presented. If clearing the history is not actually clearing the history, then there are other problems.

I read your thread very clearly before I posted. The solution I gave works 99% of the time. I also understand the registry, and I can't think of a solution to your problem that involves manually editing it.

freeperson

You think there might be other problems eh? I think you might be right. I sure wish I knew what the solution to these other problems might be :( :confused:

Thanks DoubleHelix

It's supposed to be like that. You can do the same thing in the address bar. All that matters is the one address typed into the field.

freeperson,
I just looked at my homepage settings there was a list of about 20 recent webpages I had visited. I cleared my 'History' and these are now gone (just as DoubleHelix stated). Maybe you need to try a tool like CCleaner or WindowWasher, otherwise ignore them... they won't cause a problem.

freeperson

Thanks for your suggestions people.
My machine has not been hijacked. I thought of that first and took measures to correct that if in fact that was the case. I know how to do this well, but thanks for re-suggesting this to me dobbelina.

Bman, star99ers, when you think about it there must be some reason that I don't want the there or I would not be here, right? But thanks for you suggestion.

What this boils down to is that there is a file somewhere in the OS that stores Home Page entries. I need to find where that file is, so that I can go in and delete the entries I don't want.

Let me make this clear, I have tried all the obvious things like anti-malware and clearing history...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts