1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home Security/Automation idea (need help)

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by rbj8611, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbj8611

rbj8611 Thread Starter

Hello!

I've been looking for cheap home automation or security systems that will give me very basic functions, as well as the being thing being that the device can send a text message or email to me if an event occurs.

I have a Comcast security system now and all it really is are wireless door /window sensors and motion sensor connect through wifi to the central station tablet. I've had this for a while now and it works for me. Being that there are systems out there that come with 3-4 sensors + the controller (keypad) for $35 I don't want to spend $150 on a home automation system and still have to buy more sensors at $40 a piece.

I was thinking to buy the $35 system and somehow use an Android phone and a program like tasker or something to send an email or text through an app when the alarm sounds from the base. I'm no programmer, but if I could find something to allow an "if, then" statement like "if sound =>x.xx db, then text # / email"

Does anybody have any ideas on how I could pull this off?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice