1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home Static Routing PROBLEM!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by KKLC, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KKLC

KKLC Thread Starter

Attached my home networks routing scheme.

recently i added a NAS(not NAT shown in the pic) to my network. so i set it up as shown in the scheme. However i have an access problem from PC1 to PC2 or NAS even after i set up the static routing on Router 1. same as pinging, i can't ping to PC2 or NAS from PC1. I have no problem accessing from PC2 to anywhere in the same LAN or higher level LAN

here is how what i set it on router 1:

Destination: 192.168.1.0
    Mask: 255.255.255.0 ( i use mask 255.255.255.0 for all devices)
    Gateway/Next Hop: 192.168.11.150

I didn't do any static routing on Router 2. do i need so? if yes, what should i put it? or if there is anything else? Can anyone help? Thank you very much.

Attached Files:

2. KKLC

KKLC Thread Starter

I just heard that i also need to the do the setting on Router 2 as shown below.

Destination: 0.0.0.0
    Mask: 255.255.255.0 ( i use mask 255.255.255.0 for all devices)
    Gateway/Next Hop: 0.0.0.0

is that true?

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First, what routers are we talking about here. If they are your typical SOHO routers, then getting what you want working is up to how configurable that router is. The main issue is router 2. But before we get to this. Why are you segregating your network in this fashion?

4. KKLC

KKLC Thread Starter

zx10guy, Thanks for your reply.

they are just regular SOHO routers. both of them have the static routing function. as to above settings on Router 2. I am not sure if it 's right as i just heard that from a friend of mine. But i think there must be some settings that have to be done on Router 2. but i just dont know how so far.

I know it's kinda confusing and redundant about this design of my network. i did so on purpose just to learn about the routing settings among multiple routers. Thanks for your help and sorry about my confusion to you.

5. zx10guy

So you have two things you need to check on for router 2. You'll need to check to see if you can turn off the NAT and the SPI firewall of router 2. This will turn router 2 into just a pure router. You don't need to add a static route to router 2. The setup of the WAN interface should have a setting for its default gateway. This default gateway should be pointed to router 1's LAN/inside IP.

As an aside, your static route for router 2 is wrong. If you want to set up a default static route it should be IP address 0.0.0.0 subnet mask of 0.0.0.0 and then your next hop or gateway IP address.

6. KKLC

KKLC Thread Starter

No, i didn't turn on NAT and firewall on Router 2. i actually had the same thought as yours. Router 2 should know Router 1's route as it resides in Lan1. that's what confused me most i couldn't access LAN 2 from LAN1

i tried IP address 0.0.0.0 subnet mask of 0.0.0.0 and then your next hop or gateway IP address.
    but Router 2 popped up an error "IP address 0.0.0.0 invalid ip setup"

7. zx10guy

I don't know what routers you are running so I can't comment on the configuration. But since router 2 is a SOHO router, there should be a configuration option for the WAN port of that router where you enter its IP address, subnet mask and the default gateway. This is all you need to get things working. You do not need to add another static route on router 2 to tell it to route to 192.168.11.1 for its default gateway.

Have you tried doing ping tests between 192.168.11.0 and 192.168.1.0 in both directions?

8. KKLC

KKLC Thread Starter

I forgot what i did. somehow my setup worked and problem was resolved. my pcs between two LANs can talk now.

however, i just have a wondering, when i ping a pc(192.168.1.150) in LAN 2 from a PC in LAN 1 (192.168.11.50), it worked. However, when i ping the router 2's Lan 2 IP (192.168.1.1), it failed. but it worked Router 2's Lan 1 Ip (192.168.11.60).

anyone knows y? is it the reason that router only let Non-Lan device to ping its WAN IP? thanks.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1044711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice