1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home Subnet Setup Glitch...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bdgirl, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bdgirl

bdgirl Thread Starter

Hello,

I need some help ASAP please....

Q-Need the EXACT steps to take in order to access a 2nd Netgear router on hm network

Y-Setting up a subnet due to the EXTREME amount of havoc that is created for other devices trying to use the same connection

Plan-use switch & 2nd Netgear router to isolate the gaming/heaving bandwidth users on own subnet so all home network traffic not going through same Netgear router

Here's the tech info for you...

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II Dual-Core M300, x64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2812 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 295635 MB, Free - 107621 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
    Antivirus: None

ISP-Time Warner Cable

I also have to topographic maps drawn up but don't know how to attach both...

Attached Files:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    None of that is going to work unless the "modem" is actually a modem/router combo or the "switch" is actually a router (unless, of course, you are paying for multiple public IP addresses).

You want to have two wireless networks to alleviate some of the wireless congestion?

3. bdgirl

bdgirl Thread Starter

I have 1 Internet connection via TWC...here's the route--

TWC Arris cable modem(already n bridge mode cuz model type--LAN DHCP turned off)

TWC modem goes n2 netgear switch

Switch connects via Ethernet throughout house (hybrid sys-cat5 ran n wireless access)

Upstairs Ethernet cable (Frm switch) goes n2 netgear1 WAN port

WAN's on bk of ng1 connect out to devices including 1 that goes bk dwn to switch (due to TWC sys)

I know wat need to set ng2 to but can't fig out how to connect it temporarily so can change its ip cuz ng defaults same for both my routers

4. bdgirl

bdgirl Thread Starter

Correction...
    Ng1 LAN's cables go out to devices

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice