Home Theater PC- Don't wanna make the wrong choice

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zackevin

I ditched cable a month ago and bought a Sony Netbox for the living room. It has served it's purpose but I want to move it upstairs to the bedroom and replace it with a much stronger HTPC or media center. But I don't want to make the wrong choice and end up with something that I can't use or don't know how to manipulate.

How it will be used:
1. Streaming Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, NBC, YouTube, etc.
2. Play DVDs- we don't own any Blu-Ray but a Blu-Ray player would be nice.
3. Connect to our Vizio HDTV, 1080p.
4. Connect to our Sony Surround Sound system.
5. Surf the web.
6. We may be adding a home server so it would be nice to connect to that and play movies from it.
7. Wireless

How it will NOT be used:
1. Gaming
2. Store videos, pictures, etc.

If we can, we would like it to stay under $500.

I know that I could build something much stronger for this price range but I have no computer building experience and would hate to get stuck halfway through and not know how to get out.

Thanks!

jiml8

I guess you are asking for recommendations on pre-built systems?

My one comment is that you want something quiet. Very, very quiet. Computers can get noisy with fans and hard drives, so quiet is something you have to focus on particularly to avoid surprises.

Streaming blu ray wirelessly will not work well... wired is the way to go for reliable HD content.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online