1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home WiFi Network security using Linksys WRT54G router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by theMusicMan, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theMusicMan

theMusicMan Thread Starter

Hi All

I have recently renewed my Linksys WRT54G router and need to security protect my home wifi network. When I access the router admin panel and go to Wireless > Wireless Security > Security Mods, I see the following options:
    • Disable (currently selected)
    • WPA Personal
    • WPA Enterprise
    • WPA2 personal
    • WPA2 Enterprise
    • RADIUS
    • WEP

I assume the mode I need is WEP, but when I select that I am faced with another screen of options, and it is this screen I need information on please (see screenshot).

Which Transmit Key should I select, which WEP encryption should I select, and what passphrase should I use...? Also, when I then do this, what will happen to the laptops on my network when they try to access the internet? Will they be prompted to enter the 4 keys that are generated? Will this be just once, or each time they access the net?

Thanks all.

Attached Files:

• wep.jpg
      wep.jpg
      File size:
      34.7 KB
      Views:
  2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Best is WPA2 personal. Nearly as good, if all devices do not support WPA2, is WPA personal.

If you have to use WEP you are asking for trouble if you use a passcode to be translated because not all devices do the translation the same. Use 1 or multiple hex keys; and, yes, when you connect a computer you will be prompted to enter the same key(s).

3. theMusicMan

Thanks Terry - will each of my family be asked for this key each time they connect to the net on their laptops? (and myself of course)

Also with this method I see a Group Key Renewal Interval - does this mean if one is on the net for longer than this time, we will be asked to renew the passcode? Sounds a little excessive to me?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Some wireless utilities automatically create a profile for secured networks to which you connect. Some ask if you want to save a profile. Some ask if you want to 'connect once' or 'create profile.' In the cases where you create a profile you should not be prompted again.

5. theMusicMan

Aha... okies. Then I shall try it and see. I guess I can reset the router from the Admin access area if all goes belly up yeah?

One final qn: this only applies to WiFi connected devices yeah and not RJ45 Cat5?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, the cables have no encryption. :) BTW, always use a wired machine to configure the settings of the router.

7. theMusicMan

Thanks both, your advice greatly appreciated. It is late here now and I am off to London on an early train in the morning so will try this out tomorrow evening. I shall let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/545176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice