1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

home wireless internet is connects and disconnects continuosly...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by 123bam, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 123bam

123bam Thread Starter

I have a wireless internet with WEP security. I connect to the network (wirelessly), but it losses connection...sometimes 5 min, sometimes 15 minutes.
    Now, I know it's not my laptop because I can connect to other wireless networks and stay connected. I've tried unplugging the router and modem, but still the same thing. I have full signal strength, so that is not it.
    Does anyone have any ideas ?

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

First things I would do are:
    Change the wireless channel(1/6/11 are US preferred)
    See if there are any current firmware upgrades for your router
    When the problem occurs,can you ping the router?
    Good things to know would be:
    make and models of modem and router
    Operating system and level.
    DSL or cable?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Also make sure you have the latest correct driver for the wireless adapter; from your PC manufacturer's web site if the adapter is integrated. Use WPA(2)-PSK encryption unless you have old equipment that can't handle it.

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Is Windows managing your wireless connection or are you using a 3rd party client utility?

Regards,
    Rollin

5. 123bam

123bam Thread Starter

I am using the program that comes with windows. I am running windows vista ultimate 64-bit. I have a d-link router and i have a cable modem. How do I ping and use other test to test my network. please be specific...i'm not very tech savvy.

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

Here are some instructions to try at next failure and give us the results.

On any affected computer, we'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

To ping the router,Do an ipconfig /all.The default gateway address should be the router's ip address.
    Use the above script to ping the router.Perhaps something like.
    ping 192.168.1.1

In post #3,Terry suggested going to the pc makers web site and download any more current driver for your network adapter.Updating to a more current driver if available,does seem correct a multitude of networking issues,so I would certainly do this.
    Also Terry suggested changing your encryption to WPA.
    This is generally done by logging onto your router,going to the wireless security section,and selecting WPA as your encryption.Your router's user's manual should give you pretty specific instructions on how to do this.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/777756

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice