1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

home wireless network and wireless laptop question...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lightingbird, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lightingbird

lightingbird Thread Starter

I just purchased a DLink DWL-G630 Cardbus adapter that is b and g compatible. I was thought that by getting this, that we I go to a café, hotel, McDonald's(that has it), my job or any place that has a wireless network that Id be able to connect and browse through there network.

Well I don't have one at home but when at work where I know they have a wireless network, I cannot see it on my available networks to connect too. Am I doing something wrong?

My laptop has windows XP Pro on it.

Second...

I have a Siemens phone system at home. It operates on 2.4 ghz as well as the wireless router that I plan on getting. I saw one on tigerdirect that is also a Dlink. Will they work in my home or will there be some conflicts when I'm on the phone?

Any help may be appreciated.

2. Toddles18

Toddles18

I haven't had any problems with routers and phones yet, and if you do you can always switch channels. As for unauthorized connections to other networks I don't think you will find much help here. I will tell you that a great tool for detecting the signal strength of your own router is a program called netstumbler.

3. lightingbird

lightingbird Thread Starter

Switch channels? I haven't heard that one yet. One my mobile phone handsets and base, I don't see a channel changing button or feature.

4. JustDesi

JustDesi

First of all channels would be changed on ur router ... I have a Dlink DI624 its an extreme G router and channels range from 1 to 7 I THINK... can't remember... but juss make sure u set ur wireless card to look for the same channel that the router is set to.
    Secondly your phone could be a problem... here's an interestingly weird problem that i get... i have a phone..(not cordless) right beside my comp and soemtimes when it rings i lose connection... but i'm assuming that its not my phone its the cordless in the next room and every since i changed channels that seems to have solved the problem..

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can change the channels on most home phones, it's typically some key sequence.

6. ineedhelp890

ineedhelp890

Don't use the extreme G setting. It will kill all of your neighbors signals because the extreme G technology works by opening multiple pipelines and kicking your neighbors out of theirs.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/260523

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice