1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home-wireless network quite slow at night ?!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nltung, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nltung

nltung Thread Starter

After many times of changing configuration, I still coundn't understand why my Wireless becomes quite slow after the sun set,though it is just in the range of an apartment (80m2). In the day time it gets the full-speed (I have cable internet :1024/256), but at night I have to wait 1 minute to see the homepage of Google.
    The most suspect reason could be : there is another guy using also a wireless network in his apartment ,cause I saw the network name in the "available network",but this network always appears in my list all day, not just only at night. So I think, maybe after work this guy comes back home and turn on his computer making interfere with my network, is that true ?
    So how can i work this problem out ?
    Thx in advance.

2. Cwolly

Cwolly

If his network were interfering with yours, it would most likely happen all day if you can see his SSID. There are many sources of possible interference. The most common are, 2.4ghz cordless phones, microwaves, and baby monitors. Since you live in an appartment complex, and people get home from work when the sun goes down, I would suspect one of these sources of interference is getting used.
    Unfortunetly if you are not the source of the interference, there is nothing you can do to stop it. The only thing I can suggest is moving to an 802.11a network, which uses a different frequency, and would not be affected by the same sources of interference.

Good Luck,
    Cwolly

3. nltung

nltung Thread Starter

Would it work if I change the broadcasting channel of my Wireless Access Point (also integrated Router) ?

4. Cwolly

Cwolly

You can try... I would use either 1, 6, or 11, which are the non-overlapping channels in the 2.4ghz spectrum and will cause the least amount of interference.
    -Cwolly

5. nltung

nltung Thread Starter

Yeah, I've changed the channel to 11 and now (10 PM) the network is still in its original condition :). Or maybe the guy has gone out cause today is Friday :D
    Anyway, nothing can be concluded now, have to wait some more time ;)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice