1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home wireless network used to work, now down

Discussion in 'Networking' started by toonewbie, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toonewbie

toonewbie Thread Starter

Hello. I have a question regarding my home network. I have three computers all connected by one netgear router and two netgear wireless adapter cards (with antennas, but you probably know that.) Well, the network worked well (several weeks) until we did an update on each of the remote computers. Now, it shows that it is scanning through all the channels and not picking up anything. Both are having the same problem and show a red X at the bottom of the screen, indicating the network is down. One interesting thing is that one of the messages suggests that the hardware is not connected, although I can see something is becasue it is scanning with no result. All of our computers run XP.
    Please tell me this is an easy fix!
    We have uninstalled and reinstalled the card's software already. That didn't help. We even removed the cards and reinserted them.
    Networking is something we obviously know NOTHING about.
    Thank you so much for helping us!

P.S. This is probably obvious to you, but the computer commected directly to the router is connecting just fine.

:confused:

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

3. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

What kind of update was performed on each of the client computers?

Rollin

4. toonewbie

toonewbie Thread Starter

I think it was a service pack 2.

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

With Service Pack 2 make sure you have disabled all of your firewalls on your adapters. These can cause all kinds of problems. If you go into your network connections and see any icons with a little lock on it it's firewalled and should have that removed.

6. toonewbie

toonewbie Thread Starter

okay. Removing the locks was easy. I restarted the computers, but was not able to get them to connect.

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

Did you try the wnisock fix . .

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

9. toonewbie

toonewbie Thread Starter

Yes, I am trying the winsock fix. How long does it usually take? the computer has been doing something in the background for half an hour. Is that normal?

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

nope . . do a cont'l alt delete to see what is running

the winsock fix runs in about three seconds

11. toonewbie

toonewbie Thread Starter

Sorry I have disappeared. Seems challenges decided not to hold for this one. For some reason, I can't get Winsockfix to work. Nothing else is running, either. It gives me the option to fix, I click on that, then it opens a little black (command?) window and nothing else happens. I am beginning to feel hopelessly lost. I even recopied the fix to another CD and it still did the same thing. What am I doing wrong (other than insisting on getting out of bed every morning!!!)?

12. toonewbie

toonewbie Thread Starter

Oh, I also wanted to ask one more thing. Someone (my brother, which is why I am asking first) said to remove all the Netgear drivers and that XP would automatically find the network, then. He has known people to "fix" things before and I'm afraid to try that without an affirmation from someone who really knows... Thanks all. :)

13. benhandley79

benhandley79

If you ask me it's worth a try, you can always install them again.

Have you tried calling Netgear and asking them about the problem?

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I just read this thread for the first time. In your original post, toonewbie, you said, "it shows that it is scanning through all the channels and not picking up anything." I assume the "it" is software very similar to my Netgear wireless assistant for the WG111 and WG511. If you're on the Networks tab, and scan doesn't find any signal, your problem likely is that you are not receiving any signal. Maybe the antenna is no longer connected to the rest of the card (on both remote PCs?!), but otherwise I doubt that the problem is software, PC, winsock, etc. Does your router still claim to be sending a wireless signal? If so, did the signal strength, channel, etc., get changed?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/345788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice