1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home work help!!

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by drlove5150, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drlove5150

drlove5150 Thread Starter

Need help with homework. I need to create a bootable disk in DOS. I have to be able to edit a batch file from this disk. I have to create a batch file that will display the hard drive directory on the screen and display one page at a time.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Have you done a google search for Dos Batch Files.

From a dos prompt:
    format a: /s
    Will create a bootable diskette
    Or you can download one from:
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

dir | more
    Will dislplay the contents of a directory one screen at a time.

3. Krall

Krall

To make a batch file and edit it from your dos bootable disk, when computer is off, insert bootable disk, turn pc on, at dos prompt (a:\) type the following with out quotes
    "edit a:\harddrive.bat" this will open a screen where you can type in the contents for the batch file.

Contents for batch file:

cls
    @echo off
    ECHO This batch file will display the contents of the hard drive
    ECHO one screen at a time.
    pause
    cd c:\
    dir /p
    ECHO The preceding was the contents of this computers
    ECHO hard drive. Pressing any key will exit this batch file.
    pause
    exit

type the text above EXACTLY as it appears (spaces and everything) I have tried it and it works perfectly.
    once you have the text typed in, press ALT+F, then press S, then press ALT+F, then press X. this will save the file and exit the editor and put you back at the dos prompt. now test your new batch file. at the dos prompt (needs to say A:\) type "harddrive.bat" and press enter. Follow on screen instructions.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!