1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Homegroup issues with sharing a network printer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bumblebeetuna, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bumblebeetuna

bumblebeetuna Thread Starter

Hello. I am running Windows 7 and yesterday my wife bought an HP 3512 printer. It has wireless capabilities, so she thought it would be nice to be able to print from other computers or tablets or phones in our house.

I originally had issues even getting it to connect via wireless but it is now connected to my router, has an IP address, and if I log into my router, I see its connection. The printer works fine if I have it plugged in via USB. But as soon as I unplug the cable, the printer goes offline. Now, I assumed that by wireless printer, that meant I would not even need it hooked up to my desktop. Maybe I am wrong on that though.

But my main issue is I cannot get the printer shared with the homegroup. If I run the printer troubleshooting, it even tells me that the printer is not shared with the homegroup and I should try to have it shard as administrator. So I click that box then it tells me it found but could not fix the issue. It's still not shared. If I go to the printer, go to properties, then sharing, if I try to click share and apply changes, I get an error saying "printer settings could not be saved. error code (0x0000000001) or something. It simply will not go onto the homegroup.

So question one would be.. how do I do this? If I add it to the homegroup to be shared, would that allow me to move the printer off of my desk and unplug the USB and still be able to print?

Also, still regarding Homegroups. My computer is connected via wire to my FIOS router. A laptop in the other room however, connects wireless. They somehow end up in different networks and cannot join the same Homegroup. Both run Windows 7. I have looked and cannot find why they would be on different networks. They were not always this way, I use to be able to see the laptop on my desktop but no longer can.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

A networkable printer does not need to shared via HomeGroup. It is a network device on its own, and any computer should be able to see it.

Do you have WPA2 enabled on your router? The new printer should be given the password/key and SSID to access the network. When you have the printer connected via USB, you should run the printer setup program and it will ask you about these 2 things. Once the printer knows the SSID and password/key then you should be able to unplug it from USB and access it thru the wireless network.

About the laptop, is it using DHCP to obtain its ip address from the router? You should check the network configuration to see if it obtains the ip address Automatically. If the router is handing out ip addresses ( using DHCP), then all PCs should be in the same network.

3. bumblebeetuna

The printer is connected to the access point and has been given an IP address. It found the SSID and I entered the key. It's connected, but if I unplug the USB cable, the printer fades out on the list of printers, if you understand what I mean. It's still there, but only faintly, as if it's offline. Anything I try to print while it's unplugged, does not print until I plug it back in.

The laptop cannot see the printer. And my homegroup I have on my desktop, my laptop is not given the option of joining. Idk why this, they used to be in the same homegroup but now are on different networks entirely.

4. bumblebeetuna

Ok so I went to the laptop and it found the printer on the network and installed it. So it can now print wirelessly to the networked printer. But the desktop does not. It's like it is on a completely different network. Any time I try to add the network printed (its already been installed via USB) the "add printer" pop up screen freezes. So something is fishy with the network on my desktop I guess.

5. bumblebeetuna

If I get on the laptop and go to the Network map, it shows the laptop and desktop ARE on the same network. Yet the laptop cannot join my desktop homegroup and I cannot see the laptop on my desktop anymore.

But if I go to the desktop and do network map, it eventually hangs and doesn't show anything. So I still think something is just really wrong on my desktop concerning my network and homegroup settings. I just don't know how to fix them.

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

Could be an ethernet or wireless setting or router firewall setting in the router.
    Please provide the router's brand, model & model #.
    Check the router's manual that might be on an optical disk, or at the manufacturer's web site.

Who configured the router?

Please clarify; does the desktop computer connect via ethernet or via wireless to the router?

Officejet?
    Deskjet?
    Laserjet?

Please run this forum's system info utility & post the information regarding the desktop in a reply.

Please provide the brand, model & model # of the desktop computer & the access point you mentioned, as well.

If the laptop runs W7, the following will apply, as well.
    control panel > "network & sharing"
    Left click "see full map" [ upper right ].
    If a map is created [ sometimes, on healthy networks & on healthy W7 machines, a map is NOT created. I don't know why that occurs ], create a screen shot & post it with a reply.

If a map will not create
    Open "computer"
    On the left, left click "network"
    Provide us with a screen shot.

Which firewall is installed on the desktop computer?

Which ethernet adapter is installed on the desktop computer?

RF123

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

Please run the system info utility on the laptop & the desktop.

Post the results.

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Valuable_links

Please provide screen shots of the network maps you mentioned, laptop & desktop.

& as a friendly reminder, please answer my other questions. :)

RF123

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

Does that appear as a Blue Screen [ BSOS ]?
    If so, please zip the 3 most recent files from c:\windows\minidump to a new folder; zip it , not .rar or other, & attach it to a reply at this tread.

The exact verbage is very important.

RF123

9. Lance1

Lance1

Right click the printer, select Properties, Click the Ports tab, Click Add Port, Select “Standard TCP/IP” and click New Port. Walk through the wizard to configure the network printer.

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

If you can't find "ports", left click "printer properties". That's where my "ports" tab is located.

Beginning with Vista & continuing to W7, Microsoft changed the "properties" in the context menu; added "printer properties".
    Don't ask me. I wasn't at the meeting. :)

RF123

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088990

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice