1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Homegroup: tried all the fixes, still cant get it to work

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by computerpain, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computerpain

computerpain Thread Starter

Hello,
    I want to rage on Windows 10 Homegroup because of all the hours I have spent. The homegroup is detected, but after I enter the password the homegroup is no longer detected. When I run the homegroup trouble shooting it says there is a network issue. When I run the network trouble shooting it says there is a gateway issue, but "fixed".

What I have tried:
    • both computers are connected to router via eithernet cable (still setup)
    • turning off the computers and booting one up to start a new homegroup; start up second and attempt to connect to homegroup
    • go into ethernet adapter properties to make sure IPv6 is ticked (it is)
    • went into the admin panel of my router to make sure IPv6 was enabled (it is)
    • went into services and made sure the following services were setup as "automatic": Peer Network Grouping, Peer Networking Identity Manager, HomeGroup Listener, and HomeGroup Provider (still setup this way)
    • used regedit and went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters to add "DisabledComponents REG_DWORD Value=0" (still setup this way)
    • Tried disabling antivirus (could it still be a firewall issue?)

I have been going bonkers :)

Thoughts?

PC
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8156 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 111 GB (15 GB Free); D: 698 GB (44 GB Free); F: 1863 GB (1052 GB Free); G: 0 GB (0 GB Free); H: 139 GB (37 GB Free); X: 223 GB (26 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., 990FXA-UD3
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Laptop
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8107 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 916 GB (623 GB Free); D: 13 GB (1 GB Free);
    Motherboard: HP, 81ED
    Antivirus: Avira Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Try disabling the firewalls COMPLETELY and then see if you can connect. If so, you know it's a firewall issue and you'll need to create a custom rule to allow the connection.

computerpain likes this.
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What exactly are you attempting to do ie share files, share drives, what?
    Just my opinion however home group is somewhat useless. I much prefer to setup the network and sharing myself, assign permissions, etc.

If you just want to share files or use one system as a backup, that is very simple to setup.

4. computerpain

computerpain Thread Starter

So, I disabled the firewall on both systems and the homegroup worked... yay! The firewall settings should not be blocking incoming and outgoing from homegroup, but it does not work unless it is disabled.

crjdriver,
    I want to be able to share files and stream content from one computer to the other. I am not sure what the advantages of homegroup are... only have run into disadvantages so far.

Thanks!

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If that is all you want to do, then just setup the network manually;
    1 Both computers must be part of the same workgroup. Call the workgroup whatever you want just be sure it is the same on each system
    2 On each system, select what you want to share ie complete drive, just folders or whatever. Set permissions to anybody or specific users. To set permissions, right click on the drive or folder in question>properties>sharing>advanced sharing
    3 I like having an account with the same name/login on each system however it is not necessary
    4 Once done with the above, restart each system. You should now be able to browse the network and find the drives or folders you selected in step #2

Done.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!