1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

homepage is gone

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jtn3833, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

I have my homepage set to my hotmail account's inbox and for the longest time it worked fine. I would go online, then bring up IE and it would take me directly to my inbox. Unfortunately this has not been the case for a few months. Now when I open IE I get a 404, despite resetting my homepage to my inbox repeatedly. I don't remember installing anything, or making any changes to IE when this happened.
    Any thoughts?

JTN

2. suzi

suzi

Do you have cookies enabled? Maybe you should try changing your homepage to something else and then reset it back to hotmail. It might be that hotmail is not letting you to your inbox without logging in. Can you get to your inbox by going to MSN then Hotmail and logging in?

3. suzi

suzi

Come to think of if, it seems to me that hotmail changed something a few months ago that makes you have to log in more often. Do you have a passport? It might be because of whatever hotmail changed. Did you try the hotmail help info or emailing them?

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi jtn3833,
    Update and run your antivirus
    Then get Spybot install it, run the updater, then run it. You could have a homepage hijacker. If it is not a virus then Spybot should pick it up for you.

5. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

I run NAV every week after it's been updated, so I don't think it's a virus. I've also run Ad-aware 5.5 and deleted the spyware, but that didn't work either.
    I should have mentioned that I can get to my hotmail inbox by hitting the 'home' key on IE, the problem (more of a nuisance) occures only when I initially launch IE. I don't understand why it will come up when I hit the home key, but not when I first launch IE.
    Perhaps it does have something to do with hotmail and how they have things set up, I'll have to look into that.

Any other suggestions?
    JTN

6. suzi

suzi

I would still recommend you run Spybot. AdAware is very outdated - no updates since September.

Actually it doen't sound like your problem is spyware related, probably more to do with Hotmail.

But Spybot will keep you cleaner than AdAware.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice