1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Homepage problems

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Kula, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kula

Kula Thread Starter

A search engine has set itself as my homepage. Even when I reset it to the one I want, the next time I open up IE, it's there again. How can I get rid of it? Cheers.

Rob

2. putasolution

putasolution

You've been Hijacked

Download the following programmes:
    1.cwshredder
    2.Hijack this
    3.Spybot &
    4.Adaware

Run Program 1 and have it fix anything it finds
    Update programs 3 & 4, then run the programmes, have them fix anything they find.

When you have run and fixed everything with Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware, please reboot before scanning, as not everything can be removed when Windows is running

When you have done all that, launch Hijack This, then press Scan, and press Save Log

This will generate a text file that will list all running processes, all applications that are loaded automatically when you start Windows, and more.

open that file
    Go to Edit | Select all
    Now click Edit | copy to copy it

Do not change anything just yet
    Come back to the forum, Right Click and paste its contents here

Someone will come along and have a look at it, and advise you what still needs to be removed

3. Kula

Kula Thread Starter

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, but had PC probs. I've totally reinstalled everything on my pc now, and installed the programs you advised. I'm not quite sure in what way to use them to prevent this happening again, but thanks for your help.

Rob

4. mobo

mobo

Download CWShredder:
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip
    Unzip, run and hit the ->fix tab to fix all found problems

CWShredder takes advantage of seurity holes in windows so you should install all critical as well as hotfixes available from windows update.

Then repost a fresh Hijack this log .

Download 'Hijack This!'. http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/ and save it to a folder on your desktop.
    Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
    Press that, save the log, load it in Notepad, and copy its contents here. Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice