1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Honeywell K50 aircleaner. Replace?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by O111111O, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O111111O

O111111O Thread Starter

Aug 26, 2005
    I have an older heat pump system. Attached is a Honeywell K50 electrostatic air cleaner. HV transformer is bad, I ID'd part and found replacement for $185.

My question is:

Replace the PSU/transformer, or just replace electrostatic filter elements with large pleated filters?

I'm just curious how efficient the HV aircleaner is, and if it's simply more cost efficient to inser t higher cost air filters? (i.e. large surface area pleated filters)

Anybody positively say they notice a difference with the electrostatic cleaner?
  2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Oct 19, 2002
    I swear by my ultrastatic air cleaner, and I've replaced the transformer unit once. IMO, it's more effective, YMMV.
  3. erick295

Mar 27, 2005
    I would stick with the cleaner -- don't use those catch-all filters. Higher-density filters reduce air circulation and put more of a strain on the air handler.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/526040