1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hook dell laptop to surround amp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drocket, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drocket

drocket Thread Starter

I was wondering if there is any way to hook my dell inpiron 8200 laptop up to my amp, im not sure if there is a setting or plug i am missing.

2. Deathblow

Deathblow

Would all depend on the outputs you want to use, but sure, it should be possible. What model is the laptop? I'd have to check that and the available inputs on the amp to give you more information.

3. juztin

juztin

i've connected my computer to a guitar amplifier before just by getting adaptors for a guitar cable at radio shack...you know those adaptors that make the plug go from guitar amp sized to walkman headphone size? then i plugged that into the output from my sound card.

of course, there might be other ways to do it that would produce higher quality? midi maybe?

4. sebb2004

sebb2004

5. Deathblow

Deathblow

You could use the headphone jack, but that might not give the best results.

6. drocket

drocket Thread Starter

the laptop is a dell 8200 inspiron and trying to hook it up to a pioneer xv-htd630 which has every input you can think of so its mostly getting the laptop compatible with the amp. I heard radio shack sells a converter that plugs into the headphone jack and than has audio plugs on the other side to goto the amp.

7. juztin

juztin

yeah, you can use headphone jack adaptors....but if your amp has EVERY input we can think of, then i would say the best would be MIDI....if you have a midi out on your sound card (which every sound blaster has), and a MIDI in on your amp, then MIDI would probably be the best way as far as quality...

but the headphone jack adaptor would be hella cheaper, they're just a few bucks, while a MIDI cable can get pretty expensive, depending on the length you buy.

8. Deathblow

Deathblow

Well, looking at the specifications for your laptop, unless you have a docking station, it looks like your best bet will indeed be the headphone jack.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice