1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hooked tv to computer, now no boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by imessedup, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imessedup

imessedup Thread Starter

I am running Windows 2000 professional edition. I have a S-video hookup on my computer, but never used it until tonight. I hooked it up, and then hooked it up to my tv. No display on the tv. So I went in to monitor advanced settings, and I found the settings for tv. The only way I got it to display on my tv was by clicking the same display icon that the monitor was on. I don't know the technical term for it. Movie playback was great as a test, but I needed to restart because of other things on my computer. When I went to restart it would get as far as booting up windows, and then I got a blue screen. It flashes so quickly before it goes to try to restart again that I can't catch it, but from what I have gathered it said something about not enough physical memory. The only thing I can figure is that the computer is trying to display both on the tv, and the monitor at the same time, and being unable to do so because of memory limitations. I have no idea how to set it back to only boot with the monitor instead of the tv as well. I tried unplugging the tv from the computer, as well as unplugging the monitor and leaving the tv connected. No change. I also attempted to boot in to safe mode and was unable to do so. Can you provide any help? I hope I explained this well.

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    To be able to read that Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) error message, right-click My Computer > Properties > Advanced. Under "Startup and Recovery", click on 'Settings', and uncheck the "Automatically restart" check box.

Take notes of all error codes and any files associated with the error, and put them in your next post.

You may need to go into Safe Mode to do this.

3. imessedup

imessedup Thread Starter

Ah yeah I can't even boot in to safe mode. I already tried that. I should edit my original post to include that.

4. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Then this is a more serious problem. It might be that your only hope is to reinstall Windows, but I'd wait until more experienced users respond, in case they have other recommendations.

5. moper

moper

At the F8 menu, does anything work? How about 'Enable VGA mode'.
    Or 'Last Known Good Configuration'. If 'Safe Mode Command Prompt' works, you can do a system restore by typing %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe at the prompt.

moper

6. imessedup

imessedup Thread Starter

Nothing on the menu seems to work. I just get it to start booting up, and windows to start up and then the blue screen everytime. I should mention I don't have a windows 2000 disc, this computer came pre-installed with it. Can I get a boot disc, and run command prompt from that to get a restore? I never figured doing this would cause such trouble. Well now I know better.

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

What other things? . . this is likely the reason for the problem, not hooking up to an external monitor

8. imessedup

imessedup Thread Starter

My computer was running really slow, I figured a quick restart would solve the problem. Sometimes when I clone aim and then shut it down, it doesn't shut down properly, and the computer runs slow.

I am able to catch more of the blue screen now, it says something about dump of memory.

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

What does that mean?

10. imessedup

imessedup Thread Starter

There is a program called messenger mate, kind of like the program dead aim, that allows you to physically clone a instance of the program aol instant messenger as many times as you need it. So if you need to sign on multiple instances of aim for whatever reason, you can.

11. imessedup

imessedup Thread Starter

I just tried to run the bootdisk images from bootdisk.com, and got as far as this before it said:

"The file acpi.sys is corrupted. Press any key to continue"
    followed by:
    "Setup failed. Press any key to restart your computer.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!