1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hooking awitch and router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bobschopp, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobschopp

bobschopp Thread Starter

Current configuration = dsl modem hooked to Wireless Linksys router and a linksys switch (has 2 computers and printer attached to switch) and the router has a computer and the switch hooked to it. I removed the computer hooked to the router - moved one of my computers from the switch and hooked it to the router. New computer hooked to router worked fine but the computer hooked to the switch no longer connects to the internet. So I hooked everything back up the way it was and now the computers on the switch can no longer get to the internet, It is sporadic - sometimes they can sometimes they hang looking for a connection. help

2. bobschopp

bobschopp Thread Starter

i am wondering when I moved one computer from the switch and hooked it directly to the modem did I screw up all the ip addresses for the computers hooked to the switch and do I need to do something for them?

3. bobschopp

bobschopp Thread Starter

frank any advise?

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

It is a good idea to power cycle the modem, router and switch after moving cables around.

Switches and wired routers maintain a MAC address table that stores the MAC addresses of connected devices, and what ports they are connected to. If you disconnect a device from a port, it will eventually forget a certain MAC address was connected to that port and allow it to be used again. The timeout period can be several minutes; so if you unplug a device and immediately plug another device into the same port, the switch becomes confused and usually will lock up the port until the timeout period expires.

5. bobschopp

bobschopp Thread Starter

i powered down the modem, switch and router and all computers. I plugged router, switch and modem back in at the same time and then rebooted computers. Is there a sequence i should use to power the modem, switch and router back up?

6. Frank4d

Modem first, then router and switch, then computers is usually recommended when wiring is moved around. But in my experience, powering them all on at once works too.

7. bobschopp

bobschopp Thread Starter

thanks frank - I tried all that last night and nothing seemed to work any other ideas?

8. bobschopp

bobschopp Thread Starter

wireless connectivity always worked great but computers hooked to the switch was sporadic in whether they would connect or not

9. Frank4d

I am stumped if you are back to the original configuration that worked before. I would double check that the modem is connected to the WAN port on the router, not to one of its LAN ports.

10. bobschopp

bobschopp Thread Starter

it is - we did not remove any of the lines from the modem, router or switch would the computers connected to the switch be getting screwed up IP addresses? maybe duplicate ones?

11. bobschopp

bobschopp Thread Starter

terry or pedro any advise?

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Implies possible intermittent failure of the switch, or the cable between router and switch, or the router LAN port to which the switch is connected.

13. bobschopp

bobschopp Thread Starter

thanks - seems to much like a coincidence that the cables or switch fails as I just unhooked one computer and moved it though and did not touch the switch or router.

14. Frank4d

Follow TerryNet's advice posted in another thread for a computer that isn't working connected to the switch, and again for a computer connected to the router:

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

15. bobschopp

bobschopp Thread Starter

thanks - I have to go to the office where the problem is occurring - could it be as simple as I need to go to the computer that I disconnected from switch, connected it to router and then connected to the switch again. On that computer the IP address is all messed up so I need to go to the confgiuration and make sure the "obtain IP automatically" is checked?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice