1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hooking up 2 Computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Omikse, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Omikse

Omikse Thread Starter

I am trying to hook up two work computers that are less than 10 feet away from each other in the same room. Each computer has an ethernet card which is what I am trying to connect them with. I had a cable made at a computer store in order to hook them up. I have ordered a cross over cable which should be here in about a week. But I am having trouble getting the computers to talk to each other. My computer see the ethernet card but is telling me it is not connected. All I want out of this is the ability to share files between the two computers. Can anyone point me in the right direction to detailed instruction in order to do this? If you need more info just ask what you want to know about.

2. PhantomsHC

PhantomsHC

HI Omikse, If your cable is a patch cable then they won't connect, when you get your cross over every thing should work fine :) just setup sharing on one or both PC's,

as a side note some network card do have a cross over detection where if you plug in a patch cable it will autoswitch but this is mainly on laptops, good luck

3. Omikse

Omikse Thread Starter

But if it doesn't autodetect, I will still need instuction on how to manually do it. That is the help I need. But thank you for replying so quickly.

4. Nohcrakrad

Nohcrakrad

5. PhantomsHC

PhantomsHC

OK setup Both PC's (A and B) as normal, and the network card is working and you have a crossover cable connection one to the other and both say they have a connection, if this is all true then...
    (note:~ have a password on the admin account)

now in your first post it said they were NOT connected but again i will assume that the crossover cable connected them,

ok, on PC A
    1. Right click on 'My Computer' and click properties (this opens 'System Properties') click the 'Computer Name' Tab and note down the Workgroup (probably MSHOME or Workgroup) you can change this by clicking the change button. now click OK

OK now do Step 1 on PC B but make sure that the workgroup are the same.

open my computer on computer B and create a folder called "Test share" right click it and select "Sharing & Security", click the option "share this folder"

Reboot both PC's and login, on PC A double click 'My Network Places' then click 'View workgroup computers' you should see your PC B in their, good luck

i would go on to tell you about connection via TCP/IP but i don't know if your using one for internet access or if i'm even of the right track :eek:

6. jakamk

jakamk

I have a similar problem with one computer seeing the other but cant access files, but can access internet and print.

7. PhantomsHC

PhantomsHC

Did you try

open my computer on computer B and create a folder called "Test share" right click it and select "Sharing & Security", click the option "share this folder"

oh and the account you login as should have a password, also turn off the builtin Firewall during the tests, if it only works with the firewall off then your have to corrent that but turn it off just for the testing.

8. brabra70

brabra70

what if you are connecting through a cable modem and 1 is connected through the ethernet and the other usb from the same modem..do you have to set up home office and connect together? its strange one day my computer got on line and everything was fine and now i cant get on line i dont know what happen... help

9. Omikse

Omikse Thread Starter

Actually both computers are running XP Home, one with SP 2 and the other with SP1 but will uprade to 2 in the very near future.

10. jakamk

jakamk

Hey thats the problem I am having, both computers have xp home and the one that has sp2 is not allowing the other to access files. But it allows print sharing and internet connection. I am in the process of downloading sp2 for the other machine I wonder if that will help?

11. PhantomsHC

PhantomsHC

Omikse: XP Home isn't as good at networking as Pro but the guide is still valid, did you set both workgroups to the same, and id it make sence ?

jakamk: have you tried re-sharing a folder ?
    Right click a folder goto propities, sharing (tab) etc..?

brabra70: i think your connecting both PC together Via ethernet (network cable) and you Modem is on USB, in which case if your need to check that you PC are network together (see below) and your need ICS on you Modem,
    (see bottom of this post)

Their a lot of horror stories about SP2 including people having problems after removing it, i havn't had time to test it out myself, as this is my development PC and mu other PC's are running tests :),

Ok lets try this again

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.

2. Right-click your connection, and then click Properties. The installed network components appear

3. All the following key features should be available:
    Client for Microsoft Networks (if not click install- Client)
    File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft networks (if not click install- Service)
    Quality of Service (QoS) Packet Scheduler (if not click install- Service)
    InternetProtocal (TCP/IP). (if not click install- protocall)

4. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
    4.1 Change the IP address,to 192.168.0.10 (use 10 for PC 1, 11 for PC 2 etc)
    4.2 Change the Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0

5 Click OK and OK so your back to the desktop.

6. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.

7. Click the Computer Name tab, type a description of the computer (optional), and then click OK.

8. To define the computer name and the workgroup, click Change on the Computer Name tab, and then click OK
    Notes
    Assign each computer a different, meaningful name.
    Make sure that you assign every computer to the same workgroup.

9. Click OK, click OK again, and then restart your computer.

Do this on all PC's in your network but Rememver the subnet Mask, and workgroup MUST be the same, the last dot number on the IP and the Computer Name must be diffirent.

Ok make sure the usernames you are using have password and you are sharing a folder

you can connect via 'My Network places'

brabra70:-
    1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.
    2. you should see 2 items in here on being the modem and one being the LAN (network)
    3. right click on the modem and select Properties
    4. click the Advance Tab make sure that "Allow other network users through this computer Internet connection" is ticked
    5 you may want to UN-tick the firewall if its ticked (just for testing)

12. jakamk

jakamk

Ok heres where I've gotten so far. Using the microsoft help function I found out I can go to start run the type \\JASON\Cvideos and then it will open a window to the computer i can access, which solves my problem but its still annoying that I cant access it through my network connections, but its better that nothing.

13. Omikse

Omikse Thread Starter

OK I tried what you posted here and depending what computer I am stilling at I still can not access files on the other computer.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice