1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hooking up 2 hard drives...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PEP, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PEP

PEP Banned Thread Starter

i have 2 hard drives.. one 30 gig and other 40 gig.
    I want to make the 40 master and 30 slave. The original hard drive on the computer was teh 30 gig one. All i know is there there is the flat gray wire and the red colored smaller one.
    What i did was hook up the gray wire for both and the red one for both.. What i dont know is how do i choose a primary and a slave drive..

PS i forgot how to format.. can soemone plz enlighten me..

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

There should be a smaller jumper on each drive for setting the Master and slave settings.

3. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Forgive me the presumption, but from your description I think you will need this additional info.
    In the backside of the HDD, usually between the 4-wired power supply cable and the wider, gray data cable, there are 6 to 10 pins in a group. Some of them might be connected by small gadgets called jumpers. A jumper can connect any pin with its immediate neighbour. This is the place where HDDs are configured as master or slave.
    On top of the HDD there must be a figure, a drawing, which shows, how the jumpers should be positioned to make a HDD master os slave. If there isn't such drawing, or it's not clear, then see the other side, the printed circuit. Directly above the jumper area look for the letters MA, SL and CS. MA is master, SL is slave, CS is cable select. By looking at them it will be evident which two pins belong to which two letters.

4. PEP

okay.... ill look ....
    but how do you format.. ??

5. PEP

Thanks guys i got the HDD thing ..... just formatting...

6. Squashman

What operating system do you want to put on the drive.

7. PEP

xp i have 5 copies lol

8. PEP

but i stil want to format the 30 gig drive to have a completely free commputer.
    i still need to get a power cord for my monitor to follow your instructions but ill probably get one tommorow.

9. PEP

i changed my ind about the formatting ... but thanks for the help on the drives...
    i always thought that the jumper was actually some kind of mysterious port.
    call me crazy...

10. Squashman

With windows XP, you can create the partition and format the drive during install.

11. PEP

i didnt know...

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490353

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice