Hooking up a pc to a televison

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Stymie C330

Hello, I am a recent college graduate and i am trying to stream windows media video fiels from a pc to a television set for viewing. I am currently using an Acer pc with a Pinnacle systems bendino v1.0A video card. It was two rca jacks one for video in and out and it also has two other connections for video as well. I am only familiar with using rca's so any help to get this hooked up and working would be appreciated.
-Stymie

Do you have a DVI or an HDMI connector on the card? And what inputs does the TV have? Many will be able to take a direct input, one way or the other but we will need to know whats available. :)

Stymie C330

I believe that i have two dvi connectors on the card also, but i was using a reciever with six outputs and it only has the rcas on the fron Audio <white> Video out <Yellow> and Audio <red>. Sorry about not being specific,but this is my first encounter with something like this, my apologies.
-Stymie

The RCAs are what are known as Line Feed - which it sounds like all you have available on the TV so far - Can you give us the make and model of TV as well?

A-N

Stymie C330

The Tv is a Samsung vhs hq. If i can provide any more info i'd be happy to, but this is really frustrating since i've never done anything like this before.

Okay - simple rule - the video jack is just for that - video. RCAs have to split the audio out, so if you want sound as well, you will either have to deal with the computer's speakers, or get a micro-stereo jack to RCA splitter cable so that you can plug the TV into the audio out on the computer. As for the line feed jacks, RCAs are color coded for hookup ease - Yellow for the video, white for the left side sound and red for the right side sound. When they are plugged in properly, and with the computer on, you will then need to switch the TV from its antenna feed to its line feed to see the picture. The trick is to remember that this is not an automatic switch and that you probably have a button on the Samsung's remote for doing this.

Mind you, you could solve an awful lot of grief if you installed a TV card into the Acer. It would give you...

1 - the same coax cable hook ups of a VCR, allowing your computer to record while you watch something else

2 - a remote control

3 - a cheap and dirty TiVO system that you will fill with video faster than you can stuff hard drives into.

4 - and they tend to be cheap as well - NewEgg has them starting in the $14 to $29 range.

Good luck!

A-N

Stymie C330

thanks for the well wishes, unfortunatley i am stuck with the pinnacle card and hoping that it works good enough. What i wanted to do is run video files of a show called "homework express" which is streamed live online every so often. When not feeding live, the client request to run "reruns" of past shows, and this setup suppsoedly will accomplish that... I hope? Thanks for all your help, any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online