1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hooking up front audio

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by digger747, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. digger747

digger747 Thread Starter

Have antec case and It has front usb,firewire and audio ports.Motherboard had hookups for front usb and firewire.There is a front 10 pin connector for hooking up front audio.My understanding is this will disable the rear audio.If I wanted both front and rear to work then I would have to add a sound card for rear?already loaded drivers for onboard AC97 sound,if i add sound card for rear would that cause a conflict?never hooked up front audio before on a case.can somebody give me the scoop on this? always figured didnt need front audio hooked up before just wondering so I could hook both up if I wanted to sometime.

2. norton850

norton850

Sometimes it's necessary to splice wires together to get both the front and back connectors to work. Any pin layout on the case and MB?

3. digger747

digger747 Thread Starter

Yes I have the manuals with pin assignments for both the motherboard and case.I wondered if maybe I could just study them then splice the correct wires to get front working

4. norton850

norton850

What MB do you have?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Unless you have an oddball MB or case, you shouldn't have to splice wires to get the front audio inputs working. The way they normally work is the front jacks have a NC contact that shorts them and allows the audio to be routed to the rear jacks. If you plug something in, either a mic or speakers/earphones, it opens the connection for the rear jack and you have the signal in/out of the front jack(s).

I'm not sure why you'd want the front and rear to work at the same time, and I suspect that might cause some issues anyway. Certainly, the mike would not work, and I'm at a loss as to why you'd want the audio out of both ends. It would be easier to have a $5 Radio Shack splitter at the rear...

6. digger747

digger747 Thread Starter

I am using a antec case.You answered my question.You are right,there is no need to have both working.I was just wondering If It was possable to hook both up and if as someone who Is Into building computers for friends and family I was building mine as the norm or the real pro's hooked both up.Thanks

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Glad we could help. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice