1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hooking up kid's pcs to mine

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dkguy, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dkguy

dkguy Thread Starter

I am purchasing 2 pcs for my kids rooms & wish to hook them up to the internet via mine(will refer to my pc as 'main').We live in a rural area, no dsl or high speed, I connect to the net via an internal dialup 56k modem. The way I wish to do this is by using cat5e cable,(is that what ethernet firewire jack on the board is?) there aren't any physical accessibility problems in our house for running cable, thru the basement & back up into their rooms, have done it for the tv antenna.
    What is the best equipment to do this?, hub vs.switch, is it better to run 2 cables to their rooms from the main pc etc & how do I do it?
    I have downloaded the sharing config info for 'control panel' so don't need that, just the physical way to accomplish this.
    Please do not hesitate to use rudimentary terminology, in fact I welcome it.
    Thanks for any help. (I have gone thru all 7 pages in this forum & don't see a post addressing my particular challenge.)
    Thanks for taking the time.
    dkguy

2. blin

blin

3. Smoolean

Smoolean

Just curious... How fast/useful will a 56k dialup connection be spread out over 3 computers? Or does that even matter, will it even effect the speed?

4. coulterp

coulterp

56k divided by 3? :) Well whatever, depends how many PCs are on and how active they each are actually on the internet connection.

Just prey you PCs are old and slow - then you won't even notice any lag on the network connection!

Whatever way you cut it the short answer is : not very fast!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice