1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hooking up more than 1 comp. to internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dkcwec, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkcwec

dkcwec Thread Starter

I have a computer in the home on ME and my husband has one in his garage, upstairs, on XP. The garage is approx. 85 feet away, upstairs. We purchased a 2wire homeportal and wireless through SBC. They did not work. We purchased a Siemens modem and a Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router. Hooked up my computer (the home computer) and it works fine. Tried hooking his up and get nothing. Linksys thinks we are too far away from the home computer. We did hardwire his computer with catagory 5 wiring. Any suggestions?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If you are only 85 feet away and you it is hard wired with cat 5, you are certainly within range. Cat 5 can go 100 meters without using a repeater. Would be nice if you had a cable tester to test the line. If the cat5 crosses any other power wires it may cause interference in the line.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

As mentioned, you are plenty close for a CAT5 cable. I suspect it's a simple case of a mis-wired cable. Did you try his computer with a short cable next to the router to get it running first? That way, you'll eliminate any potential configuration issues and be able to concentrate on the remaining issue, wiring.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice