1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hopefully simple question about RAM..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stu_hig, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stu_hig

stu_hig Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Ok, before I start I don't know much about anything at all. I'm just hoping this will be a simple one to answer.

So I have like 1gig of ram right now and 2 free slots so I figured I could add more. I have an old PC and I ripped the ram out of it hoping I could slot it into my current pc and get a little boost. They're only 128mb and 256mb..pieces of ram :)confused:) but I figured they couldn't hurt, right? Considering they're sitting doing nothing I thought it would be nice to put them to work.

So after a little reading I found out certain ram is compatible with certain motherboards? Well, my motherboard is a..let me get this right..ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI SE 1.XX ..and the ram I'm hoping to install is M-tec PC133. Is this enough info for you to tell me if they will be compatible with each other?

Or should I just stop being a cheapskate and buy new ram? :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance =)
    Stuart
    x

2. midders

midders Account Closed

In short, yes. Ideally, you should use RAM modules of the same specification and manufacturer as the one you have already.

Sláinte

midders

3. stu_hig

stu_hig Thread Starter

'Modules', thats the word.. =) Thanks a lot for your help. Do you have any idea what sort of ram i should be after in that case?

Cheers

4. ANDI-R

ANDI-R

i like to say that you must buy dram with the same frequence....mean all slots have the same frequence

5. replay

replay

6. Soundy

Soundy

That old RAM won't even physically fit into your board.

I believe that board has four slots total, so you probably have two 512MB modules now... two more 1GB modules would work nicely and be the most you can really use without going to a 64-bit operating system.

7. vicks

vicks

Go to www.crucial.com. They can scan and tell you what your computer needs/can run for ram memory.
    vicks

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!