1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hoping to upgrade an emachine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Traifin, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Traifin

Traifin Thread Starter

Hello,

Current specs:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Emachine T2482
    Motherboard FIC Socket A AM37
    Athlon XP 2100 Processor
    512Mb DDR200 SDram
    Onboard Audio
    Onboard Video: Pro Savage 8 (pci)

Target additions:
    Onboard video: ati radeon 7500 (agp)

As many now seem to know, upgrading an emachine is not always as simple as they make it out to be.

First, i had to upgrade to the newest bios for my motherboard just to get an option to make the primary video source my agp slot.

The problem i am having is that the computer automatically locks up upon running online games such as everquest which are graphic intensive.

I am guessing that by switching the primary/initial video source in the bios to agp, that the onboard video is Not disabled.

In winxp's control panel's hardware settings, i find that the onboard video drivers are still loading even if i uninstall them while installing the radeon's drivers.

So i believe the problem is a conflicting driver as the two cards fight over the use of the computer.

As a side note, in win xp home edition, is there a way to force the computer Not to automatically install drivers? Many times the drivers that i wish to install are overriden by what windows considers to be the best drivers; also some hardware such as the onboard video card that i would like to have disabled, keep re-installing upon reboot... when the radeon is first installed, the software has to be rebooted to take effect, but before the radeon display driver takes effect, the onboard video card's driveris loaded first, and so it is found first by the ati software, subsequently giving me a message from the ati software saying that no ati hardware can be found so the program will not execute.

Effectively, i need to disable this on board video card hardware wise and software wise,... i really want to play eq2 hehe.

I could use some help, greatly.

Just a side note, i have been to the unofficial emachines help page, and followed the instructions of how to fix this problem, but to no avail.

Traifin

2. rmay635703

rmay635703

Hmm, onboard video, if I remember correctly only "certain" AGP video cards will even work in that machine, you've found one that it will post with but...

getting it stable will be interesting.

Try to set the AGP speed to 1x or 2x, it won't affect performance much but your box might become stable.

Onto the other problem, windows is going to want to install drivers for the onboard PCI graphics no matter what, you have to live with it as its now the secondary video card, if you can find a way to disable it completely (sometimes removing ram from dimm socket 1 does the trick) you won't have that problem but not all boards will let you do that (I haven't found any way to disable onboard video on the board either).

If anyone can help this place
    http://forums.viaarena.com/categories.cfm?catid=24
    Probably can, they will know if what your doing is possible and can give specific tips.

Good Luck

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is there a setting in the bios setup to disable the onboard video? Some boards also have a jumper pin I think, to disable.

4. compilerxp

compilerxp

The post is a bit confusing:
    ---------------------------------
    Onboard Video: Pro Savage 8 (pci)

Target additions:
    Onboard video: ati radeon 7500 (agp)

"On-Board" - means its built into the system board... non removable.

"Installed" or "card" means its an add0on card.

So... does this mean you're using an onboard video and 2 different video cards as well?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

IMO, I'd find a home for the machine and move to a real MB for the upgrades. I suspect you'll find that the whole experience is pretty disappointing when the smoke clears. Also, the eMachines I've seen have had pretty anemic power supplies, and a modern video board is a real power hog, that might push it over the edge.

6. Traifin

Traifin Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, i will try them.

I have checked on the mobo for a jumper and found none to disable the onboard video card (sorry for the confusion compilerxp). Johnwill, i fully agree with your recommendation, but money is tight right now... i already have this emachine and a radeon 7500, i would love to buy newer/better but that's going to be next year lol/// hmmm....LOL, just a thought...i could upgrade another pc here at the house, .... its older but a better game machine... the emachine is alot faster processor wise. Didn't know about the powersource... going to watch out for that.

Rmay i will try your suggestions asap. Thanks for the advice.

traifin

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice