Horizontal dotted line

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kb32

Hello, I recently noticed a horizontal dotted line across my screen that divides it into two. I would really appreciate any assistance on how to fix this issue.
Thank you.

Is this a laptop? If so, it is most likely a screen defect, you will have to replace it.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Can you post a photo of the screen that clearly shows the line?

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There appears to be a vertical line as well. Can you get an image on the screen?

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Do you notice it before Windows starts? Like in the manufacturer's splash screen? Or if you go into the BIOS/UEFI?
Can you press gently, but firmly, around the edge of the screen, especially in the vicinity of the ends of the line, and make it change? It may get better or worse.

kb32

Do you notice it before Windows starts? Like in the manufacturer's splash screen? Or if you go into the BIOS/UEFI?
Can you press gently, but firmly, around the edge of the screen, especially in the vicinity of the ends of the line, and make it change? It may get better or worse.
Yes it's there on the start up screen across the hp logo. Nothing happened when I pressed on the edges.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
That pretty much confirms that it is in the screen itself. It's not a Windows issue, drivers, etc. There's a very slim chance it could be a video memory issue, but most likely it is the LCD at fault.

Your decision becomes whether or not you can live with it, or if you wish it repaired (by replacing the LCD panel). If you decide on the latter, do you feel comfortable doing it yourself (it is really not difficult, if you have some technical/mechanical ability) or if you need to have it done for you (adding an expense). The cost justification is up to you.

kb32

That pretty much confirms that it is in the screen itself. It's not a Windows issue, drivers, etc. There's a very slim chance it could be a video memory issue, but most likely it is the LCD at fault.

Your decision becomes whether or not you can live with it, or if you wish it repaired (by replacing the LCD panel). If you decide on the latter, do you feel comfortable doing it yourself (it is really not difficult, if you have some technical/mechanical ability) or if you need to have it done for you (adding an expense). The cost justification is up to you.
I am in contact with my supplier and I still have some time left on the warranty, so I'll see what they can do. Thank you for the assistance.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Oh, yeah! If it is still under warranty, definitely go that route! I didn't realize it was that new. Absolutely take advantage of the warranty! Good luck! Keep us posted.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online