1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Horizontal line across screen...help please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by muhillbilly, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muhillbilly

muhillbilly Thread Starter

I am getting a horizontal line all the way across my LCD screen. It is very thin and annoying, and is about in the middle.
    It appears from the time I start my computer up, until I turn if off and will not go away.. This line is NOT scratch in the screen, it is graphical.
    I tried reinstalling Windows XP, but this did not work. XP has been on my Thinkpad A21m 2628-F1U for a very long time and this is the first time this has ever happened. Also, I tried installing some new video drivers from IBM's website and that didn't work either.

Any suggestions? Is it hardware or software related? Thank you.

-Aaron
    [email protected]

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I've got one of those(line). It is the screen and there is nothing you can do apart from replace it(expensive)

3. muhillbilly

I pluged my laptop into the monitor of my desktop and the line went away,so you are right, it must be the monitor.

How much would it be to replace it??....this line is driving me crazy!!!!

4. DaveBurnett

Probably more than a replacement machine, and almost certainly more than a stand-alone TFT monitor

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The only time I've priced a replacement panel for a laptop, it was a Compaq, and they quoted almost $500 for it! Since it wasn't that new a laptop, I figured it simply wasn't worth saving. :(

6. muhillbilly

I brought my laptop into a service center to get repaired and when I got it back and turned it on, I noticed the line across the screen.

Since the service center obviously created the problem, what do you think the odds are that they will replace my LCD monitor?

7. DaveBurnett

You can always try. They will deny it and you will probably have trouble proving it.
    My guess is they cleaned the screen and allows fluid to seep under the beading around the edge.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd say the odds are about 0.0, but you never know... FWIW, I have a 17" LCD that has a vertical blue line in the display, it was given to me for that reason. I use it for testing, works fine other than the line.

9. Morania

Morania

Toshiba laptops at work have been doing the same thing. Nobody bothered to replace them under warranty so now we're stuck with the proble. It's the screen itself. Something about botched up stribitoid sections or some such term.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice