1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

horizontal shadows on monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rich1, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich1

Rich1 Thread Starter

I woke up recently to find horizontal shadows on my monitor (4-YEAR old Dell System - Windows ME - NEC MultiSync FE 700 Monitor). The shadows are most obvious on a white background and appear as bars running through the height dimension of any dark characters on the screen. Here's what I've done so far :

1) Plugged the monitor into a different system - shadows were gone, so I'm assuming the monitor is OK.

2) Checked Video card (32MB NVIDIA TNT2 M64 AGP) for proper seating - looked OK.

3) Switched to VGA mode - still see shadows.

4) Re-installed drivers from the Dell resource CD - still see shadows.

5) Installed updated drivers from NVIDIA website - still see shadows.

I'm now at a loss as to what to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. pronute

pronute

You did everything right except for the visual inspection of the video card, after a while the video card can rise up out of the slot slightly misaligning the contact points. Just looking at it, it may appear seated correctly, however it is not remove the card and reseat it if that doesn't do the trick then maybe your video card or AGP controller is going bad.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!