1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Horizontal vs. Vertical

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Umpguy, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Umpguy

Umpguy Thread Starter

Okay, this is strange...at least to me. I have a Dell Dimension 2350 tower CPU. It was being used by my daughter at college until she complained about it constantly rebooting. My thought was that it was just peppered with virus from her many downloads. So I completely wipe the OS and reloaded. In the process of doing so, I decided to blow out dust, etc from the inner-are of the CPU. To do this, I had to lay the box on it side (Horizontal). I left the CPU in this horizontal position as I finished loading the OS, and began to test and modify user settings etc. Everything worked like a charm.
    So I replaced the cover and stood the CPU upright (Vertical) and restarted to confirm all was AOK. Then (ta da!!) the damn thing began this cycle of rebooting again.
    I'm confused and believe this to be a hardward issue because of the impact of gravity? That's just logical speculation, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brent

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Have you checked and re-seated the Power supply connections ?

3. Umpguy

Umpguy Thread Starter

No, I will try this.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Also check the mounting of the CPU heatsink, if its loose the change in position could be enough for it to loose good contact with the processor.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!