1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

horrible clacking noises from hdd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kerri Ann, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

yep, i know it's dead- but i just want to know what happened to it. o turned the system on- and the 10 gig quantum was fine for a couple of hours, but then it started making these very loud noises- sounded like if you were to take a cdrom disk and spin it on it's side, it would be fine for a little bit, until it started to slow down, then it would start hitting the table harder and harder, then eventually fall and stop.
    this is what i imagined the hdd disk inside must have been doing.
    the first time i heard it, i was in regedit, so i quickly closed it and shutdown the system. i let it rest for a bit, then tried again. it wasw ok again for a half hour or so, then the same thing happened. i was in regedit again, but im not sure how much coincidence was involved there....
    anyone heard of this before?

2. Rockn

Rockn

Heads scraping on the platters or a bad bearing.

3. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

can it be helped? or is it done?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Its toast.

HDD are not a serviceable item. Time for a new one.

5. woderwick66

woderwick66

I had the same problem and just rubbed some olive oil on the underneath of the harddrive and it came good.

Sorry I didn't make a note of the brand, but it's probably not available where you live.

Wegards Woderwick.

6. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Olive Oil is a one in a million chance and with that odds, Olive Oil is not a cheap item in your supermarket. Would bet you would spill at least eight or so bucks for a small bottle.

Get your data off that drive quickly. If the drive quits before you copy data, put it in a freezer inside a plastic bag for about ten minutes, then plug it in and try it. That sometimes makes bearings so they work for a few minutes. Just a suggestion. Of, did I tell you "GET YOUR DATA OFF THERE IMMEDIATELY"

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Right on, freeze that sucker and transfer the data. I would recommend at least an hour though to get it cooled down all the way through. It works more often than you'd think.

8. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

well, lucky for me, its not my data that's on there. i got two systems for free :D. ones a server and the other was a PIII 450 w/ 512 L2 cache, and that's the only one that had a hdd. just hoping that i would get to keep the hdd, but it's no loss, since i paid zero for it all.

oh yeah- and thanks you guys, for the help... :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/205189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice