1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Horrible hard drive problem; possible motherboard meltdown

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by joker9, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joker9

joker9 Thread Starter

All alliteration aside, I have a serious problem:

Since September, my computer has been having problems. After numerous failed repair attempts, my friend fixed it for me. It worked for about a week, and then two days ago, I decided to try and get the whole thing working. When I got the computer up and running again, I switched to another hard drive I had (I have three). I wanted to switch back to my original (larger) hard drive. I reformatted, and for the first time in months, it worked!

Unfortunately, I got greedy, and I tried to get my other hard drive hooked up, too. I managed to get that particular hard drive working, but they wouldn't work together. After trying different things, I decided to try and install Windows again. However, when I try to install it now, it says I don't even have a hard drive installed! I know that I've hooked everything up right (I even took the entire computer apart, and put it back together to make sure), but it won't detect my hard drive at all...any of them!

Even Adult Swim couldn't make me feel better, and glaring at it with murder in my eyes isn't helping any.

2. prospect

prospect

Welcome Joker9! :)
    Make sure you have all the ribbons connected properly. How much did you take apart? I'll bet something isn't connected properly. :eek:

3. joker9

joker9 Thread Starter

Everything is connected properly.

I forgot to mention that when I start up the computer, it tells me there's a boot error, and it needs the system disk to continue; when I put it in and try and reformat is when the real problem starts.

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Did that second hard drive have an operating system on it? . . check the drive jumpers . . set jumper on second one as Slave .

wrs

5. joker9

joker9 Thread Starter

The real issue is the boot disk error I've been getting, and just getting the computer to run at all.

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

which can be caused if it senses two operating systems with no MBR to tell it which one to use . .

7. Lightning

Lightning Guest

Do you want to fix the problem, or do you want to be right?

If everything is hooked up correctly, according to you, then the hardware's bad. What other explanation can you come up with?

8. joker9

joker9 Thread Starter

I'm not trying to run two OS's at once.

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

Well . . you never answered the question "does the second drive have an o/s on it" If it does not, then that is not an issue . . if it does, i just might be.

Lightning is right . . There is clearly something wrong . . just a matter of figureing what it is.

wrs

10. joker9

joker9 Thread Starter

Never mind, it turned out that the ribbon cable had something wrong with it. I just had to switch it. D'oh!

11. prospect

prospect

I knew it was something like that.

12. joker9

joker9 Thread Starter

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/299549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice